For Skirt:

Mitch Cronin

Sorry dude, I meant the ground crew / baggage handlers. Just kinda put 4 words into 2 and came up with a new title. Ground handlers: Those personel who handle the A/C on the ground... :)

Guest givemeabreak

Well if your collegues would work with a team concept and maybe marshall an aircraft in instead of sitting on a baggage cart next door waiting for bags ("not my flight") or stop when whipping by on the tug for your coffee break to help out maybe you wouldn't be lumped into one word like "grunt".

Mitch: I thought I should jump in here and set the record straight before this gets too far off the rails.

Ground handlers are a special breed with specialized training and there are not many of them around. They are the folks whose job it is to identify and to eliminate the potential difference between objects. You may see these folks stringing wires between airplanes and bowsers, or between airplanes and hangar floors.

There are some ground handlers employed in the computer world and they are identified by a little bracelet on their wrist which is connected to the item on which they are working by a length of wire. (See "stringing wires" above) They are called "computer technicians" and consider themselves as white collar workers and do not associate with ground handlers. Actually, be the truth known, they don't associate with many outside their trade. Computer techicians believe in solifidianism.

Now, there is another group called "wire pullers", but they are not in the same league as ground handlers at all. They wouldn't know a "potential difference" from a "difference of opinion". They are best left alone for they are a secretive lot with many navel gazers among them.

PS In England, ground handlers are referred to as "Earthmen".

PPS Kip DID NOT help me with this; honest.

NEWSFLASH GIVEMEABREAK,

Mitch is an AME, you know, maintenance, you know, the guys who fix the aircraft,jees maybe you now understand what Mitch was saying about lumping us all together.

Guest M. McRae

Of course in the IATA world, one uses a "Ground Handling" contract to obtain services in a port where the servicing is to be done by another carrier. The ground handlers under this contract include all services that are to be provided and I believe that includes AMEs or their equiv. Malcolm

That's a nice try, Skoonur, but "ground handlers" always were, and always will be, farmers first.

These effete newcomers to which you refer do not even get their hands dirty. Ground handlers! Pshaw!

neo

??

Coupla things:

1. I'm not ridin' around on a baggage cart heading for coffee. If I'm around when you arrive I'll be heading up to see you to ask how the airplane is.

2. If there's no marshaller for you, I will happily do so. (our contract rules have recently changed to permit that without a grievance)

3. If I should ever happen to hear anyone of you asking for help while calling me a "ground handler", I'd see to it that you get an education and eat those words right promptly, lest I suddenly forget anything I ever knew about how to fix airplanes.

I don't suppose you'd appreciate being called a bus driver, would you?

"2. If there's no marshaller for you, I will happily do so. (our contract rules have recently changed to permit that without a grievance)"

Mitch,

I am not positive on this, but I believe this item only applys to a maintenance taxi.

That should read, "capable and qualified".

Which means you, as an ame who learned marshalling way back in tech school, can certainly marshall an aircraft.

Unfortunately, it also means a lot of other things, but I haven't seen anything nasty come from any of it yet.

Guest givemeabreak

I sincerely apologize Mitch. I have alot of respect for a good Engineer. Sorry my disdain for crap work ethic by individuals with this company caused you any harm.

I personally would LOVE to see you run up and marshall me in while "bag smashers" are watching right next door as they "wait for bags" with their thumb up their proverbial a$$.

Guest M. McRae

Seems that although Mitch does not like a lot of what AirCanada is doing, as an employee he is doing everything within his power to assure they come out of CCAA. Too bad he can not infect some others with his virus. :)

I just found this down here... Apologies not necessary, but accepted...

In fairness, some of those guys are doing all they can too... But I know the frustration as you sit on the lead in line waiting... often while watching some of those who ought to be capable just amble on by, in no hurry to get anywhere... There are some serious puppy makers making themselves very visible at times.

Your respect is most certainly appreciated. ;)

Cheers,

Mitch

Archived