Progressive Bifocals

Vsplat

Well, it seems all those years of undetected crime have finally caught up with me. It's bifocal time.

My optometrist recommended I go with progressives, which given my line of work and the lateral distortion, concerned me. No problem, less overall impact than the older style. So I went for it, The choice was between two top end lenses, Nikon and Verilux Panamic. The recommendation of the lense store was Nikon.

Day three of trying to get used to these things and I'm starting to think I should have stayed the more conservative route. The lateral disortion seems to affect all but a narrow corridor and distance vision is blurred off centre across the top. (I thought the distortion was only supposed to be in the lower and mid portions of the lense).

Is this a common transition problem or should I take advantage of the 15 day return and make a change? Thoughts and experience?

Thanks

Vs

Vsplat

I had the same problem...I eventually gave up and returned to the visible line bifocals..I always felt they offered a larger area for reading of charts etc. With the progressives I found I was moving my head to read instead of my eyes, trying to stay within the reading area of the lens..I never did get used to the transition area either...Hope this helps!

Cheers

JR

Guest JakeYYZ

Manwest is right. Give it at least 5 days. As WA777 says, you will find

yourself moving your head to adjust to the lens placements. If the lenses

are place properly, there should be only slight head movement required.

I’ve just gone to CIBA progressive contacts. Took a little getting used to.

Now that I’ve adjusted, I would heartily recommend a try.

Most dispensaries will issue a ‘try-out’ set, good for about 14 days.

I find contacts a better choice.

Yep, as a pilot I thought I would try them out. I felt it would make seeing the overhead panel easier. Lasted one day. I found them extremely annoying with magnification at the top and the bottom.

Opted for the single line across the bottom and have not regretted it. Sat in the cockpit, in what I felt was the "perfect" position, with a pair of old sunglasses on and drew a line across the lense where the glareshield met the window. Had the bifocal made at that point...worked real slick.

hint...if going for bifocal sunglasses, have them tinted progressively from dark at the top...(looking outside) to lighter at the bottom(for looking inside).

Different strokes for different folks but it worked for me.

Kip

I forgot about the prescription sunglasses...I too did the same thing with the progressive tint and found they worked extremely well...at least for an old guy...

Did the occupational route about two years ago. Like Kip says, the first day is a killer. I almost sent them back, but after a while, I got used to them and now I think they're great. Easy to see the overheads, and you don't need to break your neck trying.

The only thing is, they don't work well for driving, so I have a regular bifocal pair for the road, the occupational ones for the work, and also a pair of Ray -Ban style occupationals for sunglasses. The sunglasses would probably be just as good with a good pair of clip ons and the occupational lenses. The Ray-Bans are a bit of a pain. They work alright, but it's another pair of glasses to carry around.

Good luck and stick with it. They do work well.

Bob Perkins

I have tri-focals with solid lines across in serengetti frames with the sunglass clip on. I settled on this combo after a year of trial and error. Works great for flying. The progressives work great for those that persevere but I couldnt.

The alternative is to get younger.

Archived