Any photos??

Tally-ho

WARNING: THIS IS A JOKE ONLY... NOT FACT... well maybe sort of...

I heard that they set up a boxing ring over in the corner.... ACPA's Goliath (undefeated)against ALPA's David (zero T.K.O.'s).... winner T.B.A.

Slim

Guest blizzard

Given the obvious huge advantages of the continuity of the beast, can someone tell me why the 318 isn't a hands down winner?

Probably for all the same reasons that JetBlue didn't buy 318's.

The biggest reason is probably cost. In this era of few and far between airplane orders, it comes down to who is willing to make the best deal (ie: sell their soul to keep the planes being manufactured).

That said, the 318 is overpowered for the airframe size. Commonality is good, but at what cost? Aside from the purchase and maintenance costs, you have to be able to afford to fly the things. From what I hear, the Embraer and the Boeing top out in the in-air efficiency. No doubt the Airbus and the CRJ family would be the best fit for fleet commonality (although there are a lot of DC-9 experienced people, that would pick up the 717 pretty quick). Passengers hate the CRJ series for anything longer than a 1hour flight (their necks get sore from tilting to the side) The cabins on the other 3 are all top notch. The range on the 717 and CRJ isn't as good as the Embraer and 318.

Lots of things to consider - don't assume that this is a slam dunk for any of the competitors. AC might be outvoted by other Star Alliance members anyway...It may not matter what works best for us.

Guest blizzard

Given the obvious huge advantages of the continuity of the beast, can someone tell me why the 318 isn't a hands down winner?

Probably for all the same reasons that JetBlue didn't buy 318's.

The biggest reason is probably cost. In this era of few and far between airplane orders, it comes down to who is willing to make the best deal (ie: sell their soul to keep the planes being manufactured).

That said, the 318 is overpowered for the airframe size. Commonality is good, but at what cost? Aside from the purchase and maintenance costs, you have to be able to afford to fly the things. From what I hear, the Embraer and the Boeing top out in the in-air efficiency. No doubt the Airbus and the CRJ family would be the best fit for fleet commonality (although there are a lot of DC-9 experienced people, that would pick up the 717 pretty quick). Passengers hate the CRJ series for anything longer than a 1hour flight (their necks get sore from tilting to the side) The cabins on the other 3 are all top notch. The range on the 717 and CRJ isn't as good as the Embraer and 318.

Lots of things to consider - don't assume that this is a slam dunk for any of the competitors. AC might be outvoted by other Star Alliance members anyway...It may not matter what works best for us.

good day Mitch

From talking to the line manager in yul,he said that prices are as follows (approx)

emb 170 - 27 million

Crj 700 - just under 30

717 - mid 30s

a318 - 45 million

the 318 on display had the cfm engines,you get the option of using pw-6000 which should be more economical .With that big of a fuselage your savings would be comming from common training but i doubt that the airplane is competitive in direct operating cost(plus with the 318 they would probably have to let ACPA pilots operate it making it even more expensive)

anybody else have any good arguments??

Lupin

p.s. Mitch,you should see this emb 170!!!Its like a baby 737,same type of gear and door arangement.At first glance it looks like it would be much more fun to work on then the Crj

I made a call to a friend at AC Center and he confirmed what I expected...pricing and financing at Airbus are not as attractive as they used to be....In fact Embraer now has some new fans in the company.....the Canadian government's recent bias against AC regarding Bombardier financing, might become a factor.....

lol

a little bit sensitive aren't we???

I fix'em for air canada Hack.....It would be better for my future employment if you guys flew them but I'm shure AC will give them to the lowest bidder.Its common sense isn't it??

Lupin

My Comments:

At first glance walking up to the CRJ 900 I was impressed with the overall size until I got inside. Seems a little bigger with the convenience of 2 lavs and business class as well, but could never see doing 3 hour trips all the time with a happy load of passengers. People will grow to hate the aircraft the same way passengers didn't like the F-28.

Seen the top brass from AC and Jazz checking things out as well. Calvin did mention to one of the guys I knew (caution second hand info). The 318 is too expensive but favour it over the B-717 just for the common type rating but would then have to supplement it with an order of smaller jets. CRJ 900 probably not in books.

Embraer 170 specs looks interesting and the attraction of a wider cabin with common type rating for the larger 190/195 does fit in.

CRJ-700 might happen but only if support from Star Alliance comes into play.

His only comment on who is going to fly what came down to "you know if we gave all the work to the less expensive workers the cost of layoffs and re-training will offset any benefit of lower wages for years to come." (again that was second hand info)

The person that I was chatting with, I have known for several years and know him to be a straight shooter kind of a guy and will not play up the mainline knowing that I am a Jazz worker.

Cheers

. 70 mach

Guest easyjazz

Who is the greater fool HACK!! Seems your misguided reality is leading your wishfull thinking. Jazz will operate these aircraft at the lowest seat mile costs period.

Don't care to elaborate anymore than that, but let's just say for now you are in for a huge surprize:)

Seems certain creditors already have a plan in mind...ACPA is relegated to long haul not domestic routs.

It's about time we all do a reality check on operating costs, no?

Well here's my prediction.

Two types to fill 70 to 110 seat niche.

318 choice for larger type

CRJ 700 or 704 for smaller type

318 goes to acpa

CRJ's go to Jazz

Jazz spun off to live happily ever after.

AC staggers along under the burden of domestic/transborder cost structure way out of sync with competition. Another CCAA event a sure thing prior to 2010 cause they didn't do it right this time.

Take that to the bank,,,, or put it in yur pipe and smoke it.

RDog

Here's my prediction:

Air Canada orders 40 Embraer 170/175 aircraft in the 70-78 seat range and 40 190/195 in the 96-108 seat range for a total of 80. ACPA will operate these without a doubt.

Then places an order for 20 CRJ 200's to be placed at JAZZ and follows through with the transfer of the mainline 25 CRJ 100's for a grand total of 55.

That's my best guess.

I see in DEC someone's CRJ's will be operating to 3 new destinations Daytona Beach/ Fort Myers/ West Palm Beach.

I don't really care anymore who flys what, but I was under the impression that the decision was out of ACs hands and would be made by Justice Farley, so does CR actually have a say in this???

B

A baby 737?? Man, I think the 737 is too small already. It sure as heck is too low to the ground! Not sure I could deal with a miniature version. But I'll probably never get to play with such animals anyway.

On another note... I was forced to watch as hordes of folks turned down the 340 course starting this monday. I'd have killed for that course (well, not quite), and I did all I could to get on, but for some reason that just wasn't in the cards... Too many licences they said. Meanwhile, they put a few avionics guys on with as many and more than me.... sigh... perhaps that's the price I have to pay for being a mouthpiece.

Archived