Trudeau Airport named despite protests

Guest AME

Trudeau Airport named despite protests

Last Updated Tue, 09 Sep 2003 12:08:05

MONTREAL - Montreal's Dorval Airport was renamed in honour of Pierre Elliott Trudeau in a ceremony Tuesday morning.

Transport Minister David Collenette and Trudeau's sons, Justin and Alexandre, are at the ceremony.

Bloc Québécois leader Giles Duceppe announced ahead of time he would boycott the ceremony, and a group of Quebec nationalists gathered to protest against the change.

The Canadian government had been looking for a tribute to the former prime minister, who died nearly three years ago.

In 2000, the government tried to rename Mount Logan in Yukon after Trudeau, but it abandoned the idea after the move caused controversy.

Since airports are a federal jurisdiction, it was not necessary to consult with the Quebec government on the move.

Opponents of the name change point out that it was Trudeau who had the $4-billion Mirabel Airport built and tried to move all international traffic there.

They hope public pressure will make the federal government back down, but if it doesn't, they say they will file a complaint with the International Civil Aviation Organization.

The name change will officially go into effect Jan. 1.

Written by CBC News Online staff

None the less Patrick,

A very good name for Dorval.

I disagreed with the chaps politics (sans his handling of the PQ)...but he was a hell of a Canadian.

In Your Face Chutzpa........Personified!

I have no particular beef with renaming Dorval since, well, it'll still be the same crappy ol' airport. But in the name of all that is honest and true, cannot the Libs curtail the Trudeau mythos for a while? Certainly he was/is a giant figure in Canadian political history, but I'm pretty much wrung out over the endless low-intensity PR campaign to keep his name alive.

Oh... and someone bitchslap that Mulroney kid, too!!

I loved the guy. My favorite politician of all time. Might be that he wasn't the best PM we could've had, but he was indeed a hell of a Canadian. He definitely deserves the recognition.

I can only imagine the sting some Quebecois would feel over that. (chuckle, snicker, snort)

Guest The Clumsy Lover

I agree as well, any airport named after Trudeau sits a whole lot better in my stomach than an airport named after Deifenbaker.... That was like naming a childrens hospital after Kavorkian.... Only in Canada eh....

Jake... "but I'm pretty much wrung out over the endless low-intensity PR campaign to keep his name alive."

Where would one have to look to see any of that? I haven't seen it, but then, I'm not your average Canuck I suppose.

This doesn't belong here, but it just hit me... My most vivid memory of Mulroney and Trudeau interacting... during one of their televised debates where the wannabe Mulroney dissed Trudeau over his patronage appointments and said, "You could've said no"... then of course Mulroney proceeded to break all records for patronage appointments.

His son seems to have inherited his arrogance.

It was Mulroney debating not Trudeau but John Turner, who after taking over from Trudeau approved the patronage appointments. Turner replied "I had no choice". This led to the election of the chin that wagged and exploded the size of the PMO. The chin truly called the pot black, to screw up a metaphor.

It was Mulroney debating not Trudeau but John Turner, who after taking over from Trudeau approved the patronage appointments. Turner replied "I had no choice". This led to the election of the chin that wagged and exploded the size of the PMO. The chin truly called the pot black, to screw up a metaphor.

It's kind of a funny thing isn't it neo.

During his time, his personality rather grated...but given the politicians that came on the stage after, it's easy to appreciate just what a unique individual he was.

It would be interesting to see how he would have handled the conditions that exist in the present.

Any precip. in the OK?

[chuckle, snort] Ok, thanks for that, my memory of it had morphed somehow... Still the chin's words stuck in my head, "you could have said no" (I think he might have added "sir"?)... and yet I was stunned that I never once heard anyone throw those words back at him! ...or Rub his chin in it. The arrogant dick. His arrogance wouldn't even let him accept the fact that he, not Kim, had brought the tories to the wasteland.

He wanted a legacy more then JC does, always envious of Trudeau's continued reputation and status... And he's got it. He has the distinction of doing more harm to Canada than any other PM before him, and these several years under JC have been a part of that harm. If he hadn't blown PC credibility to ratpoop...

Trudeau to be honoured with statue

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1062367811475&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968705899037

Pierre Elliott Trudeau Park

http://cotestluc-hampstead-mtlouest.ville.montreal.qc.ca/En/Services/MunServices/Recreation/RecreationFacilities.asp

Pierre Elliott Trudeau School http://www.geocities.com/trudeauelementary/archives.html

On Feb. 20, 2002 the federal government announced a $125 million fellowship program to honour Trudeau.

http://temagami.carleton.ca/jmc/cnews/08032002/n2.shtml

News Release Date: August 28, 2003

VAUGHAN COUNCIL APPROVES INITIATIVE TO ERECT STATUE OF THE LATE RIGHT HONOURABLE PIERRE ELLIOTT TRUDEAU

http://www.city.vaughan.on.ca/newscentre/2003/news03-88.cfm

Highest peak to be Trudeau Mountain

PM plans new name for Mount Logan

http://www.globeandmail.com/series/trudeau/peak.html

And on, and on………….

Ok, thanks Jake.

Butchaknow-what? We're a funny bunch, we Canadians. We let - perhaps "force" would fit better there - most of our charismatic and creative geniuses to make their mark elsewhere. Here's one who wouldn't be forced to go anywhere. He wouldn't leave for any reason because what he wanted was not selfish, it was for our country, ...as shmultzy as that sounds.... The guy was as dedicated to this country as you're ever going to find, and why shouldn't we honour that? We could do with a little more of that from time to time.

Guest Patrick Bergen

David Collenette could have an airport but it would need a railway station on it and no tower so as not to provide assistance.

Kim Campbell could have an airport as well but it would need to have a really short runway so that if you blinked you would miss it.

Joe Clark's airport could be built on a farmers field out west but part way into construction he could have a vote and give it back

The way to honor Clark would be to a name drinks after him.

The 'JokeLark' could be a couple of ounces of watery pablum laced with cottage cheese, representative of his charisma while in public life.

Archived