Union Strategy - What Do You Think?

Guest james

One of Air Canada's unions is advising its members to put their hands in their

pockets to protest what it says is management interference in union work.

The Canadian Auto Workers says the airline has not scheduled enough workers for the busy Labour Day weekend.

In a note to the airline's customer sales and service workers, the CAW is expressing concern that managers will do union work to make up for what it perceives as a shortage of union workers.

"Don't let them do it," the note said.

"Remember your co-workers who were laid off or relocated. Tell them to stop.

Put your hands in your pockets until they do so. By this time you will probably be

so stressed out you will need to take a break."

The CAW is advising its members to take all breaks and to refuse overtime if they're feeling exhausted or ill.

They are also being advised to take as much time as they need to adequately serve each customer, instead of worrying about long lines.

"Reports indicate that customers know we're not to blame, but we need to remind them that the line ups are because management at Air Canada thinks we're overstaffed," the note says.

"We must focus on the customer in front of us, or on the phones. These are our primary concerns -- the long lineups are management's responsibility."

Air Canada spokeswoman Laura Cooke declined to comment on the specifics of the CAW note.

But she said Air Canada is not expecting this weekend to be busier than past Labour Day weekends.

What do I think???

I think that AC is poisoned and only a full transfusion of executive at both corporate and labour levels will start the healing process.

In the real world, excecutive resignations go a Long way to demonstrate a persons understanding of the situation and their dedication to a clean outcome for the sake of the shareholders.

Let's see them people! Are you a part of the problem or part of the solution?

GTFA

I thimk it's great if my manager wants to do my job and we have people on lay-off and people on a status change from fuul-time to part-time I will put my hands in my pockets and do nothing until the manager stops doing other people's job.

This is from the same people that promoted "full pay to the last day". This is the attitude that will lead to the largest union busting incident in Canadian history. The Gov't will not let AirCanada disappear but I don't think it holds the same high expectations for it's unionized labour.

So, how on earth, in this day and age are "they" going to bust a union without busting the company?

With some of the inner critisism of several unions at AC it almost sounds like one or two of them might just bust themselves.

On the other hand there is a possibility that at least one of the unions could get significantly larger and stronger.

GTFA

Archived