Over reaction or what?

Moon The Loon

http://www.globeandmail.ca/servlet/story/RTGAM.20030823.uterrn/BNStory/International/

Ramming the CN Tower with a fleet of C-152's - Canada's response to 9/11? Banning flights over nuke stations? How would that be enforced - SAM's fired under command of the reactor manager? Anybody on this forum have friends who have pictures of airplanes on their walls?

Innuendo taken to it's next level.

Guest JakeYYZ

Now, now...Maximum Leader Crouton assured us there were no terrorists in Canada...so it must be a mistake.

(No doubt the Star will be huffing, puffing and frothing itself into an anti-racism frenzy.)

Guest Panama Jack

Uhhhh, where is the overeaction? If this is not suspicious behavior, then I wonder what you do consider suspicious behavior. It sounds a little too bizarre to be your average airplane enthusiast and even if this results in a false alarm, I think the RCMP and Immigration Canada were appropriate in swooping in. It seems a fair bit like what the September 11th hijackers' fascination with airplanes were like. I say good work on the part of the Feds.

Perhaps it is the way the story is worded. I can remember groups of 3rd world folks coming to Canada for flight training for one reason. It is the cheapest licence on the planet. I also remember folks who had little to no talent or skills taking years to get their private ticket with the flying school not kicking them off the course.

Look again at all the words in the article that amount to nothing short of innuendo and possible vice probable cause.

What price liberty? The denial of freedom?

Sept. 11 will never happen again. Something else will.

It always does. In a free democracy, it is impossible to guard against everything.

Comments.

Guest M. McRae

I did indeed read the article and found this part to be most troubling "The document says all of the men came from Pakistan to Canada within the past five years and told immigration authorities they were going to attend Ottawa Business College -- a school that authorities now say existed only on paper."

Seems that they entered Canada fraudulently and IMO should be shown the gate!

As far as the rest, I have confidence that our police will ferret out the true story, however, no matter what ... these folks should be deported simply because of their fraudulent entry. As should anyone else who lies on their application to come here no matter what country, race, religion, persuasion etc.....

In short if you lie to us on your application, GOOD-BYE..... Lots of others waiting to take your vacancy.....

On that we agree. Canada is looked at as the weak link into America. Lots of laws but poor or non-existent enforcement. Every now and again to re-assure the public that the legal system is the finest in the world, enforcement included, someone will be targeted, set upon and made an example of.

But look at that fraudulent entry from the other side: you're a family in some foreign country and you really want to go to Canada. Several of your friends and relatives have told you of this scheme about a phony school. A phony school that the Yanks have known about for a very long time, yet Canada has continued to ignore, allowing fraudulent entry into the country.

I think the problem goes much deeper in that our law enforcement agencies had the rug pulled out from under them a decade ago with underfunding and reduced recruitment. In short, we don't have enough cops.

Lastly, back to the story, it looks more like political spin connecting this illegal immigration to terrorism.

Just some thoughts on the way this paranoid over-reaction to 9/11 appears to me.

Guest Panama Jack

Moon the Loon wrote:

"Sept. 11 will never happen again. Something else will."

Bro, do you know that after the signing of the November 11th armistice they refered to World War I as "the war to end all wars?"

All I can say is I pray you are right, but I believe your thoughts are naive.

Guest Panama Jack

LongTimerV, I don't believe the enemy is the US although I have a real problem with the way they have treated some of their "friends" in the past and present and the way they set examples. Nevermind that the US has also endorsed and in fact supported terrorists and terrorism in the past. I am sure that these actions helped, at least in part, to bring about the actions of September 11th.

And yes, I think that Bush is a very scary and dangerous person.

Guest Komodd

If something happened one time-it is just a chance, but if happened twice-it is the system.So well,September 11 is unhappy date for American continent -if you remember,on September 11,1973 in Chile Mr.Augusto Phinochet killed at least 5000 countrymen.Next was September 11,2001...What's in the card for us? Nobody knows...

"Something else will" was just what you said. What I intended is that the nature of terrorism is to strike the unpredictable and unexpected with an absolute and brutal show of force. They're also pretty vain - I believe they'll try something else.

Which is why I'm concerned about the reaction of American/Canadian governments to 9/11. Akin to locking the gate after the cows have escaped.

Archived