Q for the search experts:

Mitch Cronin

Does anyone have any idea how I might find out what average air fares, or even specific ones, have changed over the years? Surely some data exists on the internet, but I'm drawing blanks...

A link to a site with cost comparisons over time may not exist, but if I could at least find some sites with costs at various times I'd be happy.

Anyone?

Mitch, I can see where you going with this and I think that an accurate comparison is going to be impossible. The number of factors that have changed in 24 years is staggering.

In 1979 you could still be going transcon on DC8-40 and -50 series with JT-4's, the fuel burn per ASM must be something in the neighbourhood of 60% greater than a New Gen 737 or A320, throw in a flight engineer and the much higher maintenance costs associated with these types of aircraft and, well you know. Look at the difference between a DC10 and B767-300, roughly similar aircraft with similar ranges and Pax counts but you know as well or better than most how often the '10 ruined your night, oops sorry your day and these aircraft were really only one generation apart. Throw in federally controlled and owned carriers in most countries that have since had to face the reality of actually competing and you have an industry that for the first time in history is living and dying on it accord as opposed to the protectionist system that used to be.

JMO

Barry

Hi Barry...

Actually, that sort of data would be good to figure into the analysis as well... along with fuel and wage and other operating cost differences.

I have my suspicions of what I'd find, but I'd really like to be able to see it all in plain truths... graphs and such.

My ultimate concern is that the competitive pressures will too often lead to pinching and trimming in the wrong places. This is not an industry that should be free to go nuts. The bennefits to the traveler are somewhat negated if the risk is high. Not to mention the effects on staff (read families and lives) that this cyclic "actual competition" has.

I believe it's unrealistic to charge less than busfare for a ride in an airplane, don't you? Or are bus companies gouging their customers that badly?

Cheers,

Mitch

P.S. DC10's never, ever ruined my night! :) Not even when all the problems were up on number 2. Beautiful old behemouths... darlin's... sweet old three holed dinosaurs... how could anyone not love 'em?.... what a machine! :D

Ok, the race is done... (don't understand why everyone is mad at Kurt Busch? I musta missed something last week.)

Anyway... I was poking around the statscan site yesterday and again today after you posted that link, but all I can seem to get is references to surveys that apparently exist someplace, but I can't seem to locate the actual data? Either I'm looking in all the wrong places, or they only keep the titles and description of the data available to the likes of me.... ??

Guest M. McRae

If you follow the goto links, you will find that the pages exist but there is one kicker. Stats Canada wants you to pony up cash for the data. Guess they are helping to pay off the national debt. :)

Here is a goto for a US Site that shows Domestic Airfares by Qtr for 1997 - 3rd qtr 2002.

http://ostpxweb.dot.gov/aviation/domfares/domfares.htm

This one is by shows average, yields etc.

http://ostpxweb.dot.gov/aviation/aptcomp/aptcomp.htm

And the main site is :

http://ntl.bts.gov/faq/faresqtrly.html

Archived