Your manager wants your job

Guest JakeYYZ

Guest JakeYYZ

SOURCE: CAW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- For immediate release (Toronto: 13 Aug 03) -

Your manager wants your job

While we continue to have CAW members laid off, management continues to attempt to save their own jobs by doing your work. This is a clear violation of your Collective Agreement.

This “help” is often done by checking in customers, working gates and servicing customers. When these situations occur, you should immediately speak to the manager in a firm and polite manner, requesting he/she to stop doing your job. If the manager is not listening and continues to do your work, you should stop doing your job, then call a Union officer to immediately confront the “helpful manager”.

As customer service declines, many customers are taking their anger and frustrations out on our members. If you are confronted with this type of situation: you should be very polite to the customer, and immediately call for the assistance of a “helpful manager”.

In solidarity,

Gary Fane,

Director of Transportation

CAW-Canada

Guest PortTack

CAW, what a bunch of complete dorks. How many managers actually helped....it appears as more of a PR move to have managers helping than taking jobs away.

Guest Sopwith

"While we continue to have CAW members laid off, management continues to attempt to save their own jobs by doing your work."

Management isn't doing your job they are doing the jobs of the plethora of people sitting at home with "poor moral" who should be at work.

It's a safe bet that management doesn't want to work two jobs if they don't have to so lets try to work together so they won't have to "help" us. That would be more productive than crying fowl.

Guest JakeYYZ

Listen up! When I arrive at the start of my shift to sign in, I can see

who and how many have booked off. Where do you get your

information from…. The psychosis hot line?

There’s no sick out. What you see (#’s) is what you got!

You’re right about the managers not wanting to play ‘check-in agent’.

Now, promise not to tell big Bobby? Ok. Many CSM’s have quietly expressed concern over this absurd fix and have queried its effectiveness. They are actually asking that we grieve them.

Believe it.

Grieving them is moronic. Like PortTack said, it's a PR move for krisakes. And it gives them a decent look at what you face every day. You should be reveling in watching them swim in your muddy pond. I know I sure as hell would be!

I think Gary Fane is an being an ass for telling you to ask them to stop doing your job, but be right quick at calling them when the heat builds. Let 'em see the heat themselves!

Guest JakeYYZ

For the love of carp, a PR move was it. Well I guess it won’t happen again.

I guess suggesting clients check-in allow an extra 30-60 minutes to their check-in

time was a PR move too! No. This guys buggered.

Guest frozinorth

I remember the same thing happening during the chaos of amalgamation of the AC and CP flights. Management and retirees were recruited to help direct traffic at the airports. In YYZ the accomodation with the CAW was to allow these people to help, but they had to remain in a small area of grey tile just inside the doors of the departure level of T2.

Once you knew this was the case it became quite comical to watch. They were more aggressive than Hare Krishna in LAX, because once the pax got past them they couldn't be pursued! One guy looked like a mime banging into a glass wall whenever he came near the edge of his alloted space. The sad part was the occasional vigilant agent who would take notes on infractions, I assume for a grievence later on.

I don't know about you guys but the last time i went to a bank i lined up.price club(Costco) i lined up, burger and fries,you guessed it i lined up.Why do people who fly once a year expect to just walk on board an aircraft.Is the message about using the machines not getting out,or are they just to damn lazy and still expects Air Canada to hold their hands as soon as they walk in the door,like the good ole days.It ain't gonna happen,get over it and be prepared to line up just like all the other places you visit every day.Its that simple.

Guest Hawkeye

<<"Is the message about using the machines not getting out,or are they just to damn lazy and still expects Air Canada to hold their hands as soon as they walk in the door,like the good ole days." >>

In early July, I arrived in YYZ from Kiev, Ukraine via Frankfurt for a connecting flight to Newfoundland for following day.

Arrived at Terminal II AC ticket counter over two hours early for our Domestic flight to Nfld only to see "Two" customer sales agents behind the ticket counter. There was a huge line up already for flights distined to other parts of the Country.

Concerned we would not make our flight we went to the express check in counter and used the Kiosk's, however that that proved futile after we discovered that there was no agent to check our bags. Other customers were also waiting with boarding cards in hand but could not proceed until their bags were checked. So much for those machines.

I went down the long line up until I found an AC Supervisor and after explaining our dilemma, she just shrugged her shoulders, raised her arms in the air and said "this is what you get when the Company lays off".

Eventually found another Supervisor who at first was no more helpful but after a few more desperate pleas, quietly suggested we go down to the YUL-YOW sign and try there.

We did and found two agents with just two customers checking in. After explaining to her that we were sent down by a Supervisor because of all the confusion and line ups, she was very helpful in getting our luggage checked and we were on our way. As we left, we saw others with desperate faces that followed our route to freedom.

It was very sad to see and i'm afraid to say but if this continues to go on, AC may not be around too much longer considering their incrediable debt of 15 Billion and climbing. It appeared not only to us but many others as well that nobody seems too really care.

As for LongTimer V comments I quoted above, in all the years I have travelled, I have never seen any agent hold a customers hand as soon as they walked in the door, not unless you go to a small town airport where I have seen some wonderful caring agents walk elderly woman to their car.

I don't think it's fair to say that people are too lazy, more likely they are tired and exhausted from long line ups, congested and confusing terminal layouts. Then to top it all off delayed/cancelled flights that are all to often cramped and confined with little or no service.

I see major changes down the road that the employess will have to accept whether they like it or not if they want to survive. As LongTimer V pointed out it's not "like the good ole days"! So as he suggest that the passenger get use to it, well it's a two way street, so will have the employees. It's that simple

Guest givemeabreak

Longtimer. Here's some simple advice. Take your lazy A$$ and quit!! Please!!

Attitude like your we won't make it to Halloween.

Agents with their hand up!??? Are you on drugs? My favorite is to see our PAYING customers go to a desk and an agent won't even look at them. Keep their head down, won't even acknowledge their presence by saying "Just one sec maam/sir". Only to finally look up and say "YES!", grab their ticket and say something stupid.

Again, go home you overpaid, 12 sandwich eatin....etc.

Guest Pull Up

Like givemeabreak said, why don't you just quit and let AC hire some younger, cheaper, and more motivated help. Lineups in banks, at fast food joints, and the liquour store might be 15 to 20 minutes long at the most. At our check in counters lately you might wait 1 1/2 to 2 hours, and then face another line up at security. If you use a bank machine you can do everything there. If you use our automated check in machines you still have to get in a line to check your bags. Want to call customer service on the phone? Good luck, cause you may be on hold for most of the afternoon. People don't expect to be led around by the hand, but when you have a terminal set up that is as confusing as ours T2, you better have people available to assist the paying customer (that's right, the one who pay's your unrealistically inflated salary) find there way around. If you think it isn't confusing just try and follow someone around when they try to check in for YVR, at one end of the terminal, then go to the other end to get to their gate. All this after being dropped off at Air Canada domestic. Can't understand why passengers are furious yet? Here's a few more reasons. Get on the a/c and find your seat, then wait til 20 minutes or more past sked departure because "I'm sorry ladies and gentlemen but our ground crew is presently unavailable so we'll be a few minutes late pushing back". Unavailable because they are hiding in the lunch room maybe, like was the case with my flight last week in YUL? And yes they were in the lunch room because they were in there when we flight planned, and we saw them come out 5 minutes after sked departure. Nice 40 minute break. Or how about when you arrive off the gate and have to wait for 5-45 minutes for a ground crew? How about when there is a lineup at the Rapidair counter and 3 agents sitting there, gabbing, while one is actually dealing with passengers. Maybe AC did cut to deep, but many of these same problems existed before the cutbacks, and I think the problem is more a case of too many people trying to draw an oversized paycheck while not doing the job that their paid to do.

If the managers from Milton on down don't get a handle on the problems we have we won't exist in two years. Personally, I think we're dead. If we do exust we'll be flying empty airplanes, because the people we chase away today are gonna wait a long time before they pay to get abused again.

Its really to bad you guys up in the pointy end of the aircraft are so full of it.Listen to yourselves.I would like to see you guys survive one week as a customer service agent.You guys get riled up so easy,you wouldn't make it thru one day.But i guess when things get tuff you can always hide in the flight deck.Its easy to pick and choose what you PERCIEVE to be a wrong when you don't have the ALL the facts.

Guest ACsidestick

I don't know about one week, but last night I did your job for 4 hours - informing distraught people on arrivals level about where their loved ones were. Getting DFR's, then running back down from STOC, answering questions - 4 hours - because not one of you CSA's were in sight. No doubt hiding from having to do your job. One again, the pilots do their job, and then they do yours as well - and with a smile. It's time for you to step off the window ledge and let someone who cares take over.

Guest givemeabreak

That's the best you can do! Wow, you are a wizard. You are the gem of the company!!

Again, your intelligence shines.

Tell me, do you ever look up from that screen with that tunnel vision of yours.

Heard another good one. One of your agents today told a customer when she asked where to get her bags, "I don't have time for this today!!" Bravo! Maybe it was you.

See ya in the EI line by Halloween!

Boy you are a funny cat.All you care about is your fat check and cushy job.Right now you see a threat to that life style and your lashing out at those who you feel may bring your little world down.Remember sonny it was the pilot group that almost sent us all to liquidation, and the U.I. line ,so don't come preaching here now how you actually give a $$it GIVEMEABREAK

Guest Hawkeye

<< "So don't be putting on some phony face that you actually care about the customer now". >>

Wrong again, I am a customer of AC. I would suggest that next time you be slow to speak and quick to hear !!!

Try this the next time a paying passenger approaches your check-in counter and don't forget to Smile.

Archived