employee relations

Guest lupin

Hi lupin

Thanks for the article. Very interesting.

The question for some of us at AC, is how do you get there from where we are now, and for many, do we even want to.

I have never met RM, but from everything I have heard, the people that work with him directly love him. Ever since he took over as CEO he has been up to his neck in problems that were mostly a result of external forces from ONEX to SARS.

My hope is that once this restructuring is done, those of us who don't work with him directly will get a chance to see that side of him that those who work directly with him see, and the company will move away from the adversarial relationship that has existed between the unions and management.

It will require a change in thinking and of attitudes from everyone involved but the benefits are enormous. I hope to see it happen. I believe that one change we will see is an empowerment of front line employees to make decisions on their own. I think that this will be one of the off-shoots of having a whole level of management taken out of the system.

At any rate time will tell.

Greg

I hope you're right Greg.

The most powerful sentence I found in that article:

"In need of impassioned leadership to overcome an epidemic of low employee morale, too many major airlines focus on self-preservation rather than solid corporate vision. So long as they continue to do so, with each cultural misstep, Southwest, JetBlue, and others [WestJet] will gain market share, one dissatisfied customer at a time."

Your question, how do we get there from where we are now? ...can easily be answered (I think) after the senior honcho's have decided they do indeed want to get there.

Once the will exists, the how will show itself in gazillions of ways. I personally don't think our honcho's have that will. They continue to demonstrate their willingness to treat people they employ like bird droppings. And when some silly twit who's stupid enough to care speaks out... Watch out!

Our current "corporate culture" seems incredibly narrow of vision. The bean counters appear to be making all the decisions, and anything that appears to save money, regardless of the effect on employees, or even of truth --as I'm sure we can all cite examples where the truth of cost does not meet with the apparent on paper projections of cost --, is adopted. That's where the empire protectionists shine... they'll fiddle and faddle and come up with all sorts of things to blame and ways to obscure the truth. And when gross mistakes in policy are adopted there seems to be no mechanism for pointing out the truth. And the buggers don't see it even when it is pointed out! ...damn, I think I'm ranting again...

"Impassioned leadership".... now there's a dream! Most of us would die for a leader we thought would do the same for us. But when our boss thinks we must already be happy, and if we're not then we "should quit"... How much does that get ya?

It's about time someone started pointing this kind of thing out. I mean, someone who people might listen to.

Cheers,

Mitch

Hi Mitch

One thing to keep in mind. Our current leaders, meaning Milton and company, are not running the company right now. We are under bankruptcy protection, and for as long as we are, Milton and company have virtually given over control of the company to the courts.

After we come out from under the CCAA and control is turned back over to AC management, we will start getting a much better idea in the direction in which we are heading.

At least that is my understanding of our current situation.

Cheers

Greg

"Neeleman and Barger attend most new employee orientation sessions, fly the airline frequently, help load baggage, take tickets, and so forth. Sure, much of this is public relations, but image matters."

I don't believe the author has recognized the full value of these management activities. By being out there and directly involved from time to time they (management) gain hands on experience at all levels of the operation thereby becoming informed as to the day to day problems the front line employee's may be experiencing.

"I believe that one change we will see is an empowerment of front line employees to make decisions on their own. I think that this will be one of the off-shoots of having a whole level of management taken out of the system."

Let's hope but, this was tried in the past vis a vis "Wright Stuff" programs. They failed because management seemed to take the employee suggestions as a "cutting of their grass" and failed to act accordingly.

Hi Greg,

To your comment;

“I have never met RM, but from everything I have heard, the people that work with him directly love him.”

Strangely enough, I have heard pretty much the exact opposite, go figure?... Anyway, what was is not nearly as important as what is to be. I agree with the rest of your post.

There seems a general consensus that one of Robert’s paramount challenges is the people challenge. My vote remains reserved until we see how he approaches rank and file relationships once out of CCAA. Has been a lot of good dialogue lately. Personally, I have still to be won over though it would not take much.

The best part of all, I too feel an energy stirring, and I am very open and very supportive of a new beginning.

Cheers

dragon

I'm just itchin' to see that day come! ;)

It sure is hard to sit and watch as silly things happen, that cost more. But again, I'm hearing you. Maybe I should disable my keyboard until we're out of CCAA? :D

Cheers Greg,

Mitch

Hi Defcon

You are right on the money. We had a very effective program called the "power to act", (at least I think that was the title), and it died for the very reason you gave.

I think that a similar program would be viewed differently now and would be a resounding success.

Here's hoping

Greg

Mitch,

AC wants its employees to have the perception that they have the power to act and to make changes.You know from recent experience as well as I, that if you speak the truth and raise valid points that would certainly help the airline, you are instantly branded, either a malcontent, $hit disturber, or just plain trouble maker. Once faced with this kind of reaction to a concern, it instantly takes any amibition one may have and outright destroys it,and what do you end up with???? People just going through the motions and not caring a bit. As long as AC continues to employ the Peter principle, nothing will change.

I kinda feel sorry for the front line managers,its those usless middle managers that sit at a desk and are afraid to see whats really goin on.There's only one thing worse then a bad decision,and thats no decision at all.The only time you see them is when something has worked out and they come out of the woodwork to pat each other on the back.Its really a shame.

Archived