YOW Terminal Control Axed

Guest q650

Internal NavCanada memo today reveals the immediate intention to shut down all YOW ACC activities and hand it over to YUL to cover the work.

YOW was the only (non-Quebec) Bilingual ATC Termnal Unit in Canada and did a mighty fine job.

Good luck to all and it was good service received for many many years.

The NaVCan axe comes down again yet the managers and VPs are drinking scotch and smoking fine cigars at Hy's tonight.

What a bull$**t tag line at the end. I challenge you to find me a single manager that enjoys cutting service (especially good service as you mentioned) or having to pass on unfortunate news that a persons' job is being downgraded or moved. I can see it now.........."Hey, I just got to close down the YOW ACC unit! Hurray! Let's go to Hi's and celebrate!! Hurray!" - GIVE ME A BREAK!

I'm sure I'm not recreating the wheel here by reminding you that NavCanada is a not for profit organization. They are as constrained as anyone else is right now to make the best of an industry that is struggling. Unfortunately, managers have to manage budgets too - not just people.

You're comment is uncalled for and insulting. And no, I don't work for NavCanada and no I'm not a manager.

Guest alldatjazz

Say Attitude;

Thanks for saying that! Too many people making anonymous unwarranted comments on this forum.

So sad though for Ottawa Terminal. They were always a good group to work with. Probably little will change for the user. The controllers will comute to Montreal.

Guest Say Again

Thanks for the positive words about us, guys. We indeed pride ourselves on the service we provide and thus far always had fun doing it. That's the small unit mentality. Being close to the tower we work with also had an impact as we were often getting together during breaks to discuss this or that.

I must say though that the move to Montreal isn't getting much acceptance. The only guy who would have liked to move is already on his way to YUL TCU. The rest of us were happy with the situation as it was and a we feel that morale will be hit hard and communication with tower folks will suffer as well. Unfortunately, I believe that this will have an impact on the service we provide. The company has turned a deaf ear to that concern though.

The deal is done yet, though. The board will decide "before the end of the summer". Until then we're in limbo.

All the same: it'll be the same voices, save for a few, except we'll be in Mtl.

Cheers guys,

FX

P.S. While q650's comment might have seemed inappropriate, that feeling very much prevalent among the NavCan employees.

That's sad news as the YOW TSU has always provided excellent service. For the folks going to work out of YUL, if you can manage it, you will save tens of thousands of dollars of taxes if you can live on the Ontario side of the border!

Good luck!

Guest rphydro

Felix,

Hopefully things do end up working well for all of the YOW TCU staff and that either the commute or move works out better then expected.

As a side note, I met you once about 2 years ago in YYZ when you helped arrange a tour for me, so I know it must be especially tough on you if it means having to move twice in such a short time.

Best of luck

rp

Guest Say Again

Not as long as Burger King and Tim Horton's are still hiring! ;)

We'll make the best of it, of course. But we won't go down without a fight either.

Cheers!

FX

Guest Say Again

You'll have to remind me of your name as the handle doesn't ring a bell. Always a pleasure to show people what I do though. Thanks for the good wishes. I'll pass them on to the boys and girls.

Talk to you on the 491 or the 440, maybe?

FX

Archived