QNH ....What does this acronym stand for.

Guest xny556

It stands for Atmospheric Pressure (Q) at Nautical Height. The other option is QFE which is Atmospheric Pressure at Field Elevation (altimeter will read zero on the ground).

Try the link to a site with a huge acronym directory.

J.O.

I have to agree with YVR_A320 below. The Q Code has been around for much of the twentieth century and has its origins in Morse transmissions. _ _ . _ being the attention getter.

As an interesting side note, Air Canada was the last transportation operator (air/land/sea) in the world that required crews to know the code. Do you guys still require new recruits to do "The Test"?

(B)

Guest Jammed Balls

Great site... just ran ACPA through it...

ACPA >>Alberta Cowboy Poetry Association<<

ACPA >>Alberta Combat Pistol Association<<

Hummmm I hope my dues are going to the 'right one' :(

~Balls

Well my understanding of the Q code is that it was a way of minimizing the size of transmissions and messages hence the "codes", to save air time and message length. The list in the site gives their code meaning. QNH may have some technical meaning other than that listed in the site that you are looking for but I don't know about that.

The definition in the site of QNH as opposed to QFE would essential knowledge when you are operating in an area where altimeter settings are issued for both. I'm not sure that QFE is that widely used anymore but obviously, if you got it mixed up with QNH it could be serious.

Archived