Riddle me this: Airmail? Anyone??

Why.... Oh why... would our management team be implementing such draconian strategies, guaranteed to make people thoroughly understand how bad they've been pooched, as time clocks and "scheduled overtime" ...at a time when they're already feeling the sting of losses that we're all now feeling.

I thought the idea was to look for productivity improvements? Do any of these fools actually believe such idiocy will improve productivity?

To the rest of you.... if what I've heard today actually comes to be, I apologize beforehand for the delays you will undoubtedly experience. What a company! Where do these decisions get made? In some dark warehouse where thugs and thieves and mobsters scheme?

Yup, we want to adopt a WestJet model eh? .... Good Grief! How 'bout that Maverick? Do you guys use a time clock? Punch in at the beginning of the day, punch out for lunch, punch in again a half hour later and punch out again at the end of the day? Do you get "scheduled" in for overtime?

I regularly arrive at work at least 45 minutes early now... and I'm available if I'm needed, and never put in for overtime when that happens, but I can guarantee you that if that happens, I'll be arriving precisely at start time and I won't work a single second longer than I have to. "Productivity improvements" my donkey!

Mitch

I'm just gonna hazard a guess 'cuz I don't have a clue what you're talking about from "below" (haven't got there yet). But if what you're saying is you now have to account for your time on the job, your bosses are telling you simply that for the past "n" years they've never kept track and can't answer to their superiors "just what is it they do and why are we paying them so much". Now the bean counters are telling them that you all have to be accountable. A paradox when they themselves are not accountable.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Sort of sums it up in one quick and easy statement.

Damn...Single Malt is finished. Switching to guns...

nyuk nyuk nyuk.... "guns" (if they're liquid gold) are better anyway! :D

And, you're probably right, but damnit, someone's gotta step up to the plate with some smarts and have a look at what's real and what isn't. ....sez me. :(

Guest JazzMTC

Hey Mitch,

If you head over to bay 1&2, you'll see the punch clock( Kronos)in place and has been since I believe 95'. Productivity? Haha! The funniest is watching 20+ AME's standing in front of the clock,counting down the last 30min.Everyone shows up 5min or less starting time, and everyone leaves EXACTLY end of shift.It's a joke! If you guys next door are getting the clock, say bye-bye to what's left of morale, because at Jazz bay 1&2,it's zero!

At risk of being wayyyyy off base I thought I might make a comment anyway.

Back in the early 90's I worked in maintenance myself. We didn't have a punch clock but it was pretty easy to keep track of people (only 6 RON a/c and about 20-25 people). Instead of hanging around the punch clock 1/2 hour before quitting time we would lounge around the "crew chiefs" station or the lunch room. Basically, the a/c had gone to the gate for the departures and we were scheduled until after the headstarts departed.

Without "being in your shoes ", I might suggest that morale always seems rather low during a down-turn in this business.

As for scheduled O/T, obviously they don't have enough people but it seems that is what was agreed upon in the contracts. We won't be scheduled for O/T but they are reducing reserve coverage on the premiss that we will work O/T. Tough to do while people are laid off but the union endorses it.

My appologies to you and JazzMtc if it seems like I am minimizing your situation, that is not my intention.

Mitch

Don't let them get you down (easy to say, hard to do :( )

I gave up caring a long time ago, while I'm being paid I give 100% and zero when I'm not.

Remember we " Work to live, and not live to work"

Brett

p.s. Here's something to think about, if they insist on adhereing to the rules, than all the rules apply ;).... have you read TOCM lately

No apologies necessary, I think I understand what you're saying. Yep, when times are tough things get rough.

What's got me ticked isn't the time clock notion so much, though that's just a little kick in the pants we don't need and it won't help a darn thing... It's this "scheduled mandatory overtime" thing that's really got my goat.

In our new agreement, we don't get paid for our overtime at all, until we've accumulated 200 hours of it in the "time bank"... And at any time, if things are predicted to be slow enough, we could be told we're going to take a week off here or there, thus dwindling that time in the bank. So far, that's ok... Most of us can live with that, even if we don't like it.

But to be told now that we will be scheduled for overtime at the discretion of management, and we must work it.... AND we won't get paid for it....! THAT is just too much for this family man to take.

I believe that WILL cause problems. I do not believe there is any way to implement that in such a way as not to cause problems, and I don't believe they'll be able to realize any productivity gains at all by that strategy. Quite the contrary. I have already seen enough anger caused by the idea that production is suffering, and that's just what I'VE seen in my own tiny sphere of reference!

It seems incredible to me that at a time when it's important to get everyone pulling together and trying hard to make things work well, we've got a management strategy that seems designed in the 30's. These fools don't seem to have any understanding of the importance and value of motivated employees who want to do well. They evidently feel now is the time to get out their whips and dig in the spurs. I think it's stupidity and I honestly believe it will backfire LARGE.

Cheers,

Mitch

Guest lupin

Nothing like giving a company that is under CCAA 200 hrs of credit!!Smart move on the part of the IAM!!The least they could do(the company) is give us the option to opt out and not do overtime!!

But from what I hear here in Montreal the time bank is there mostly for heavy maintenance.Everything gets slow during the summer time (in heavy maintenance)and a 200 hr time bank would allow the guys to take the summer off without the company having to lay-off anyone.If you ask around Mitch....you will find that at least three line stations are exempted!!Under local aggreements made already.

Lupin

Archived