Love, Life, and the meaning of ... Wanker?

At some point in our past, people decided life was too tough... The search for ways to simplify our lives, make things easier, and give us more leisure time was undertaken with a passion by many. The Wright Bro's came along, as did others, giving us the ability to travel faster. Marconi and others made communication over great distance an every day event. Henry Ford and others made local travel a snap. ...After a while we had so many technological advances, with Bill Gates and others adding to the mix, we found a seemingly infinite pool of new inventions waiting to be found...

But somewhere in that mad search for the easier life, we seem to have lost touch with the intent. Now, instead of having more leisure time, we seem to have to spend all our time working at earning money to pay for all those things that might have made life easier, if not for the cost... Most households with children need 2 incomes... Most people still work hard for most of their lives, looking forward to sometime in the future where, if they're lucky enough, they might be able to retire and live a good life.... ? With whatever time they have left.

That was all stated, better than I could say it, once (at least) in a movie called "The Gods Must Be Crazy", and I've often given it some thought... Have we lost sight of the goal? Did we get so caught up in the trip that we forgot the destination?

I look at my time on this earth and I can't say that I've lost sight of that goal, but neither have I made an easy life. (I'm a bit of dog in the sense that I spend most of my time living for now)...

The answer (as many have found) seems to be in finding a means of employment that is so enjoyable, that it's something you'd have chosen to do with your "leisure" time anyway.

You wankers [wink] that call yourselves pilots have that!

At least, so it seems to me... Remember please, as you go about your bitc#ing, that there are other wankers here who haven't got half of what you've got.

I'm not complaining mind you... I love playing with airplanes and that's why I take the nonsense that comes with the job. But every once in a while I think you lucky dogs need to cage your gyro's and have a damned good look at where you are in relation to the rest of the world.

Cheers,

Mitch

Guest AC F/A

For those people who don't work in the airline industry its easy to comment about how great pilots and flight attendants have it.

I'm the first to admit I love my job and make great money. There is a lot that comes with it though, working through the night, working holidays(sometimes for years),being away from your lioved ones a lot, jetlag. Not to mention some of the c%^p that we put up with. As an F/A I have been thrown , by a passenger, into a bank of seats, called a B&^*H because the passenger upgraded at the last minute and we didn't have enought meals in first class. I have had two people have heart attacks. I had a women bite the In-charge F/A cause she was drunk.

Let's see what else. Presently I am off work beacause I was thrown during unexpected turbulence and have broken the bone above my tailbone and could be off for six months.

SO before those of you who know nothing about working in the industry want to critcize us, think about what you write because a lot of us take great insult to it.

And to all that nonsense about pilots not respecting F/A's....definitely not true, I am always respected by the front crew.

Guest AC F/A

Just making a comment...not only directed at you, there is so much negativity on this site. I got what you were saying...sometimes people just need to vent

Guest PilotsWife

Ya, it's rough! I hazard a guess that the good out weighs the bad, otherwise you wouldn't be in your position.

I agree with Mitch, and many others whom know those who travel in the aviation business do see the envy in the job. But there is no replacement of seeing my hubby's eyes light up as he tells me how he squeaks one on!

Even after a few days on the beach in PUJ and the fabulous shots on the beach with me not in them!

But I didn't spend 13 years in the likes of Baker Lake to earn my time to do that either. :-)

Cheers on a Friday,

JP

Guest AC F/A

Of course the good outweighs the bad...as I said, I love what I do. I know that everyone who loves their job still has some aspect of it thats hard. People need to remember that, its not roses every day...have a good night

K, Fair'nuff, but have a listen for a sec....

First, I wouldn't want your job for all the tea in China. I know you've got it rough, and unless the traveling excites you, I think it's a lousy job.

Having said that, however.... I think for those of you who've chosen it as a career because it does turn your crank, you're also very lucky sods.

I've worked with airplanes for almost 23 years now and in that time I've turned down oodles of chances for the traveling lifestyle. I prefer to stick around and watch the trees grow. So what I'm saying.... in a twisted sort of way, is that I was really talking to those other folks that play with airplanes in a manner that I'd prefer to be doing myself... That being flying these wonderful machines that really were built to fly.

You see, as an "Aircraft Maintenance Engineer", I do get to do quite a bit of fiddling with these fine machines, but I never get to put them in the element that they were designed to be at home in... On the ground these things are heavy lumps of steel, aluminum, cables, computers, turning things, stable things, clanking things and stuff that just feels cumbersome... They're put together in a beautiful fashion mind you, that is truly fun to fiddle with, but it's always evident that their true purpose is to be airborne.

As a lover of flying machines, and a one time wannabe pilot with a private licence and all of 135 hours to me credit, who's been fixing them for 18 years, I wish like hell things were different.

Now do ya see where I was coming from? ;)

cheers,

Mitch

I hear ya Girl! They come home depressed, and sometimes upbeat, but whatever the mood, they're HOME. We rebalance, tune up and send them on their way. Maybe that's why I understand Mitch, I make sure my guy eats healthy, etc. Heck! Do I qualify for a PME? :D

First of all I realize that your comments were somewhat "tongue and cheek" however I am a little tired of hearing just how lucky we are. Do you think we won our ATPL's in some kind of lottery? Did we wake up one morning and just accept a career in aviation? No, we worked for the career of our CHOICE. We have many rewards and have made sacrifices as anyone in any career but we chose ours as you chose yours.

Why is it people who are unhappy with their lives attack people with lives that appear better. Doctors, lawyers, professional athletes and such, should they take pay cuts, work more or accept less perks because the medical system is broke or the client can't afford his services and the team is going to leave town due to insufficient funding? What gives? Should we all make 50K a year and call it good? Good grief man different professions make different salaries and usually it is based on supply and demand but many times it just comes down to some skill. I wouldn’t have the stomach to be a doctor, the patience for law or the skill to score goals but I like flying and I think I’m good at it. We all have different abilities mentally and physically and after 4 full log books I must admit flying is certainly not difficult but it was a long road to travel with many opportunities to fail.

Sorry, my dime is up. Have a good night.

CPDude

CPDude,

My comments weren't tongue in cheek at all, please do me the courtesy of a re-read... Aside from the "wanker" comment (a friendly jab, hence the "wink"), I meant all of that, just as I said it. I'm not sure what upset you, or ACFA for that matter...?

I know you worked hard to get where you are and you damned well deserve everything you've got. In fact, you can most assuredly count me among those who feel you deserve better than the treatment you're currently getting.

I somehow feel I need to tell you: I'm not at all "unhappy" with my own life and I had no intent to "attack" those who have a better life. I worked hard to get where I am too, having dragged myself out of more muck than I care to elaborate on here, I managed to pull off an existence that, should I meet my maker today, I could look back and be proud of what I've accomplished. I'm not, however, in a profession as enjoyable as I would consider your profession. That was my own fault, not yours or anyone else's, ...mine.

Whether or not you read this wrong, I can't help, but for many reasons, I DO consider you lucky. I envy you and your kin. I wish I'd had the right set of circumstances that would have allowed me to continue on that path... But I know as well as you that it did NOT just fall on your lap! I'd hoped that sort of thing might be read as a compliment. ... evidently you felt some kind of a jab that wasn't there.

I think it might be that you and some of your brethren are feeling just a little bit like you've been hosed recently, and that I understand.... But I can assure you, I'm not one who supports the "pilots are overpaid and underworked" line of thought, and it was for that reason I posted the previous post... I'd hoped I might have helped some of you to take another look and see that things are still pretty good, in spite of the recent kick in the tail feathers.

And BTW, your dime is never up in the AEF. ;)

Cheers,

Mitch

Guest PilotsWife

I thought he was a bit touchy myself!

I was recently visiting with a business associate and she told me her thoughts about a pilot's life (not wife) and it is true that most don't know the hurdles and really how low paying the job can really be for most of the career.

She was surprised to hear the reality. But again, she left off with, "so where is your husband today?" I had to confess, he and the crew were sightseeing in New York and again no pics with me in them. Darn!

Bottomline both you guys are correct (minus the remark about... people being unhappy and attacking, I didn't find that myself in your post)

Hard work to get there, when/if you do, great payoff's and a great lifestyle.

Hey I'm off to NAS on a pass, so I am finally getting a vacation!

Happy Saturday,

JP

Mitch

You are a class act. Wish I got to YYZ once in a while so I could actually see your scruffy face and have a beer or even a coffee with you.

Hope you had a great weekend and hopefully it was at least, almost, smoke free.

Cheers

Greg

Archived