Congrats Folks

Guest V1V2Vgo

Guest V1V2Vgo

87% in favour of a collective future. Well done.

Neo, as you capitulate from atop the steaming pile of shight(direct quotes), as you openly describe the new deal, you may notice you have a very small following. After only 416 longwinded posts on this forum, openly extolling the virtues of a No vote, the verdict is in. As described by another poster earlier, you have committed "SOCIAL SUICIDE"

Social suicide? So you're saying I'm no longer on your Christmas list? [Altogether now...] "Awwww"

A funny thing keeps happening to me that I'd like to share, although I'm sure it will be a disappointment to you: the people I fly with treat me well. I continue showing up at work, and people continue being decent to me. We joke, we laugh, we do our jobs, we go shopping and have a beer on a layover. Some people even mention that they appreciate me voicing my perspective. If the others have a problem with it, they behave like consummate professionals and don't let it affect our working relationship, including the social part of the job.

While opinions may differ strongly on AEF, (on a wide variety of issues) I have the deepest respect for my colleagues willingness to treat me as a fellow professional when we go to work. Somehow they seem to rise above the pettiness that's occasionally evident here. So while I'm not concerned about your opinion of me, I will mention that you do not give my fellow pilots anywhere near enough credit.

Just wanted to set the record straight.

neo

.....and if I may be permitted to be so bold.... The opinions you express here, in my ever so humble opinion ;), are often expressed so well as to be a pleasure to read, regardless of whether or not I agree with you.

I thought you were wrong to be voting no, I wanted to know why you would do so and I read with interest all of your explanations and descriptions of things as you saw them... Were you wrong to say anything you did? No, I don't think so. (except perhaps the part where you shot me the big raspberry when I asked you to tell me what motives you thought I had, but who am I to call that wrong.... so nope.)

Richard, as you are completely aware, this is just a place where people who have opinions go about the closest they'll ever get to shouting them from the rooftops. We "espouse our ideas"... we yak, gab, squawk, whine, wag our chins, vent, blabber, and spout.... Very little of it, I'm convinced, has any chance of landing you in any real life dumpster.

Although one does need to be careful when the phone rings evidently.... :o

Anyway, that's why I use my real name, and perhaps you might feel similarly? I reckon if I used a "handle" and posted anonymously, I'd be a poop disturber, and I'd say things I shouldn't. As long as we keep speaking as honestly as we can, what harm can happen must have been inevitable in any case. 'Cause that's just who we are.

Cheers,

Mitch

That's very kind of you, Mitch. Thanks a lot. :)

It's not easy to voice an unpopular opinion. And the more that is at stake for others, the less easy it becomes. But sometimes ideas that are angrily rejected at first are subsequently proven right, and in a short time people wonder what all the fuss was about. I'm definitely NOT trying to lend my opinions credibility by pointing out that bit of history; my opinions will have to stand on their own two feet. I mention it only because diversity of lawfully expressed opinion is the fundamental strength of a forum and democracy in general. You never know when someone may float an idea that makes your life better, or even saves it.

There will be those who, for some inexplicable reason, feel that the 13% of pilots who voted no were trying to drive AC into bankruptcy. It's difficult to reason with that kind of bias. I imagine that many of the 'no' voters honestly felt that the proposed contract was a mistake, and that voting accordingly would likely have a different consequence than AC's demise. That was and still is my opinion.

And here's one from the Brave Prediction Department: long, long before the six years is up on the pilot's contract, a good many of the 87% who voted in favor are going to wonder what they were thinking. As it always does, time will offer perspectives that are hard to see in the heat of the moment.

Best wishes,

neo

Hiya Rich:

I think the questions you've been asking and your thoughts on the current situation have been brilliant insofar they made people think and question the status quo. Many obviously disagree(d) with you and the resultant overwhelming acceptance of the TA might be considered proof that some of your conclusions weren't there conclusions.

But having been in a similar situation at C3 when they decided to cancel our profit sharing and replace it with a share issue, I know how difficult it can be to be on the receiving end of vitriole and downright personal attacks.

Good on ya for taking a stand; good on the rest of ya who were able to debate neo from a practical not a personal point of view.

My 2p.

And now, (B) (B) (B) ...

WRONG!

Neo is a respected member of the airline fraternity whose depth of perception of most of the issues facing the airline industry far exceeds most of ours. At least his posts NEVER fall into the petty slagging that sometimes appears on this forum. Neo, you're welcome in my flight deck ANYTIME, and I look forward to the next time we can share something more thirst-quenching on a layover.

All the Best everyone.

Iain Edghill.

Brilliant!? Now that's the kind of hyperbole I like. :)

But seriously, every now and then someone like yourself mentions that they appreciate the DEBATE. They don't necessarily agree with everything I say, but they recognize the value of someone being willing to broach and examine the difficult issues. Makes it all worthwhile when they speak up, just as you've done.

Thanks a lot! :)

neo

Cheers, Iain, and thanks very much for the kind words. It would be my privilege to help out on your flight deck sometime soon. Hope we can share that beverage, too.

Best wishes,

neo

Archived