No cuts saves $150Million....???

inchman

Just in case somebody missed it below, there's some magic being played out by the spin doctors in the CAW deal.

According to the Star, there will be no pension cuts, no wage cuts and only 800 people will be laid off. Yet $150 million will be saved.

Before the rest of us get our hopes (and our backs) up let's try to realize that there is more to that deal than Buzz is saying out loud.

Do the math and try to find the truth before you react.

...from a National Post article (linked below in a post by Max Continuous re: Got Gerry Schwartz II):

"Along with the job cuts and a temporary 10% salary cut, Air Canada workers represented by the CAW also gave up one week's paid vacation, two paid holidays, sick leave days and agreed to schedule changes."

Guest chiselcharter

Jazz has secured financing for Milton's plan 'B'. The groups that have so far signed have all had Jazz 'relations'. Jerry's back. Collonhead can't be found. The AC pilot's and F/A's rumoured deal much like the 22%/8yrs is a tough pill to swallow. Traffic is down. It would be a good time to start from scratch considering it's has already been planned for the last couple of years. We'll know tonight if Milton really want to settle. I forgot to mention valium sales are up...take two they're small.

Still doesn't add up. Even with less vacation time etc. you are essentially doing the same job with 800 less people. That is the only result. The only money saved is wages and benefits of those 800 people as well as some Stat holiday pay from the rest of the group. If Milty plans on growing the airline significantly without adding employees, than this may add some more value, but as it stands now, in hard cash I see this as not much more than a 70 or 80 million dollar deal. Still a far cry from the 150 they stated.

Ok...

5300 employees times 9 days... How much?

10% salary cut for 2 months... How much?

800 layoffs... how much?

Sick days...

No pension hit...?

Schedule changes...

Add it up, Mitch. It's not possible to come up with $150 million per year on those 3 or 4 issues.

My point is...don't everybody do a "me too" on this deal because there's bigger cuts to individuals than is being flaunted by Buzz.

One thing that really bugs me is that current retirees don't seem to be having to take a hit in any of the groups. For the rest of us, we will take a hit in the pocket both now AND later. Except for the P.R. aspect of taking away money from retired persons, I just can't understand why my contributions to the pension plan are worth less than someone who retired last year.

Guest burkeg

The cuts will be much deeper, iam negots team told last night the CAW will loose 51% of its membership in the next 18 to 24 months, approx. 3600 people. Its unclear how this will happen yet but probably a combination of layoffs and attrition... I doubt there will be packages anymore

I've tried to do the math and I can't come up with this figure.

In the grander scheme of things, it appears that the CAW didn't really give up that much at all. This will now probably be the target for all of the unions.

I think that we are all screwed.

I think you're missing the point on this.

They SAY they're not giving up much, but they are obviously doing so.

I think it's so Buzz gets his public, "We won", while the truth is actually somewhere else.

Archived