The Price of Loving Your Job....

Guest WA777

Guest WA777

Most bus and subway drivers in the Toronto Transit TTC system will now make significantly more, have better working conditions and enjoy superior benefits than most pilots....Those who love to fly are paying the price for their passion...exploitation...how times have changed.....then again maybe they haven't!

I would like you to compare the pay and benefits of a 20 year bus driver and a 20 year pilot before you make that assumption. A 20-year pilot may be making over $100,000, even when wage cuts are factored in. But there are no $100,000 bus drivers, not even in Toronto, not even close.

Guest WA777

I don't think the comparison of "20" year olds is a fair one for both sides. As for myself I'm not aware of any 20 year old pilots who would be in that category and I doubt if any 20 year old TTC driver could have reached the top rate of union pay...Circa 1993 The Star did a comprehensive article about TTC pay and reported most veteran employees (12+ years) could make 100K+ with overtime....and that was 10 years ago...food for thought..

Guest alldatjazz

I hate driving a car in Toronto let alone a Transit Bus. When they work overtime they really earn their money! We work hard at times as well but somehow I bet we get a lot more job satisfaction.

Just a thought.

Hmmm...

Big word, there... OVERTIME.

The questions are, how much overtime are they talking about... and how much would a pilot make if they worked the same percentage of "overtime" as the $100k bus driver.

You gotta compare apples to apples.

Based on my experience with the validity of newspaper story and their always-there intentions of creating as much controversy as possible, I would think that it might be possible for a bus driver to make that much money, but they wouldn't have much of a life "off the buses".

>>> from the ttc site 2003 <<<

The TTC offers competitive wages and comprehensive benefits, as well as exciting opportunities to apply your skills in a unique and highly visible customer service role. The hourly wage rate for this opportunity is $17.31 (rate after training) to $22.92 (rate after 3 years).

Based on this rate and assuming time-and-a-half after 40 hours, a ttc driver would have to work 30 hours of overtime PER WEEK to make $100k... I guess something less after 12 years, but it's still not a couple of hours of overtime per week.

BTW, in case anyone's interested... they're not hiring right now...

Guest flax

Actually Dagger, i'm a 20 year pilot and i don't make anything close to $100,000. Granted i've had to change my job twice thru no fault of my own but the fact of the matter is that i've averaged around $40k over the last 10 years (inclusive of my latter years in the military)

And WA777, i have to agree with you that things have changed. If i was at liberty to describe some things my present company is pulling... you would be amazed. And its all under the guise of 'consider the present state of our industry.. you don't have it so bad here' In the past this company was quite rational and fair with its employees but lately i've seen some abuse that is hard to explain. I guess its just too tempting to screw people over, when these people have no recourse other than to complain about it.

Sad times indeed.

One thing about the airline Biz,its always changing,never borring and still has somes pretty good fringe benefits.It will never be the same but hey who know's down the road it could be better."The only thing to fear is fear itself" or something like that.

Archived