Westjet Question

Guest CJRT

Take one in each hand and beat your co-pilot with them (If you're a pilot, if not my profusest apologies I wouldn't want to insult anyone)!!

That might work well with thoses little winglets on the -700, but on the big jets you need both hands just to hold one winglet!!

Oh, is beating the F/O called CRM where you fly?

Enjoy Victoria Day

Guest MikePapaKilo

Left Winglet Up = Right Turn (like on a bike)

Right Winglet Up = Left Turn (exactly same as above, only opposite.

Both Winglets Up = Parked in a narrow spot

As related to a fellow pax as we waited for a trip in Ottawa, and a commissionaire explained to the fellow pax what winglets are for.

So to have fun: Whatever you do with each winglet, make the airplane do the opposite. Ha Ha !! Really creates a lot of fun on the parallel approaches to YVR or SFO ! All your pals in following you in the landing sequence will think you're so-o-o-o-o crazy, they'll want to fly with you !! And Not Tomorrow ! TODAY !! Right Now.

THAT'S how to have fun with winglets. ;) Get some today ! Collect the whole set !!

Cheers !

MPK

Aviation has come along way since that line was coined. I wonder if the Wright brothers ever dreamed of winglets. Something to think about as we approach 100 years of powered flight.

Regards

Guest M. McRae

Perhaps not the Wright Brothers but seems that they were first used in 1979 by the Gossamer Albatross in it's flight across the English channel. There is also mention of winglets replacing the tip tanks on the T-33 'T-Bird'

As I am not that old I will leave it to Kip to authenticate that piece of information. :)

Archived