Westjet Question

Guest CJRT

Guest CJRT

Hi there,

I have the good fortune of meeting with the westjet team for an interview next week. I've done my questions and researched the who's who, and what's what. There is one little piece of info that I cant seem to find. If anyone at westjet can help it would be mucho appreciated. How may aircraft are in service?

That's it, that's all.

Thanks folks !!

Your right, SWA is probably more then 10 times WJA size. I'm not sure there ever will be a true code share with JBU or SWA for those reasons (the extra costs and headaches would be for both carriers) but one day there might be a mere handling agreement or they might just come up with a new cost effective way to share.

Guest Dash eight

Mr F get your head out of the sand..

Wasn't it the same fellow that structured southwest, jet blue and also structured westjet??

South west has a huge amount to gain buy code sharing with Westjet in that Westjets domestic structure is now in place to all of the major cities in canada.

Lets see, hmmm, coast to coast, hubs in the east and the west, one class service in line with both of the profitable US carriers, A future not presently measured in weeks or months. Yup when I think about it you're right, there is not much benefit for anyone to form an alliance with WJ. Can I come visit your planet some day? :D

To be fair it isn't actually my plan, the BOD hardly ever calls me anymore but you are correct and perhaps I should not have used that term but for practicalities sake a "Hub" if you will, is required for Mtce, Ops etc. Mr F's point was that no one would want to pursue a commercial alliance with WJ and I feel that is incorrect. If you were a US carrier looking north for a dance partner today who would you pick? It is the typical Canadian inferiority complex that allows him to think that way, the 'aw shucks those big 'ol americans wouldn't want anything to do with us mentality. And if memory serves, didn't AC attempt to codeshare with us in 2000?

Guest M. McRae

I guess the main question to be addressed would be - where do the two carriers meet? Do they have any common point now and if not who will build the bridge and at what cost?

Agreed, I suppose by the very nature of WestJet the natural partner would be a SWA or JBL as the full service carrier may not wish to put there "J" or "F" guests on a one class carrier although with the present shakeup in the US who really knows what form the industry ultimately will take. That being said I disagree with the logic that the smoking crater left of the US industry will be filled only by low cost carriers. There is an awful pile of money in the US and Canada for that matter and there will always be those who will only fly "J" or "F".

BTW, is that you and Mrs. M along the west dyke in Richmond? ;) If so I have probably biked by you dozens of times. :D

Guest M. McRae

Not I. This McRae resides in Alberta. The other M McRae was a Capt. at Canadian, we shared the same name, same company and met for the first time at our 25year dinner.

Well you are living in a cave and it seems most of us on this topic are thinking outside the box and there is lots of $$$$$ to be made by WJ and take your pick SW or JB. A code share with WJ would make good sense since Southwest cant fly point to point in Canada.

Guest Virtual

....And what if AC doesn't come through this next crisis. Perhaps the Liberals will invite

SW (or whomever) in to Canada to fly 'point to point' without having to codeshare with anyone.

Never say never. Hasn't that been proven time and time again!

Archived