Just floating an idea....

...so please don't hit the roof.

If an AC employee were to wish to voluntarily offer say 15% of his wage for a temporary period, in an effort to assist the company in terms of both finances and public opinion.... How would he go about doing so?

I suspect folks that wear the union hats would laugh at such a request... as a matter of fact, that notion provides one of the reasons for the question... I'd love to do an end run around the buggers as they stall!

Does anyone know if such a thing would be possible and if so, what would be the route?

Now... before anyone starts at me with any nonsense about what I think I'm worth, etc.... Let me just say I still think AME's are underpaid! But I do think I might get by for a temporary period with a little less, and I also think that others might feel likewise.

I know I've heard voices here that sound like they're chompin' at the bit to get in line for a "haircut".

If it were possible, and if we could see that the money wasn't just going to be wasted, and if enough of us were to do so, maybe we could make a small difference in the public's perception of us, and perhaps even make a difference in the bottom line of the company....? Maybe? Who knows, maybe it could make all the difference?

Or maybe by the time it could be done the other cards will already have been dealt and we'll all be walking around with brushcuts?

Thoughts anyone?

Mitch

Was it yourself who penned the line:

"The company will not pay us what we're worth,rather the company will pay enough to keep us around"

What if the company executes this theory and how many of us do you think will still be around?

Some of our "degree'd" passengers have difficulty accepting our renumeration, after all we are only licenced techs, in some cases earning more (for working nights in the rain)than they ever could with their degree in basket weaving.

Try asking my wife (nurse) to give back 10% then be prepared for a verbal barrage!

Respectfully

Rolf

'tis a conundrum!....

Yet few doubt the Pilots deserve a decent wage to take on the responsibilty for their lives, and for their skills... But this, my friend, is what someone I admire would call a rabbit trail.

The fact remains that although I do not believe I am paid well enough, I'd be willing to temporarily invest some of what I get toward improving my workplace, and possibly providing a means for extending my employers existence. I do believe others are of that same frame of mind. The wage corrections that are overdue can be dealt with in the future.

Cheers,

Mitch

Guest Max Continuous

I think your heart attitude is admirable Mitch, but you'd be taking a leak into Lake Superior.

As far the haircut issue goes, I think we're ALL gonna be lookin' like Telly Salvalas.

My understanding, FWIW, is that you and the employer are not permitted to engage in an arrangement of this sort. Your union is your legal representative in all contractual matters; you aren't allowed to negotiate contractually-covered issues on your own behalf.

However, AFAIK, nothing stops you from receiving your wages as per your contract, and then donating a portion back to the company. Would they accept it? Maybe not, although I'm sure your gesture would be appreciated by some.

neo

Hello Mitch;

No flame from here...we have to consider all ideas and examine them on their merit and bring what history we can to bear on the relative wisdom of one course of action or another.

On individual/group wage "give-backs" not negotiated/requested by a union leadership:

First, and above all, the one aspect which must remain to guide everyone in this process is discipline and rationality. A "voluntary" roll-back would be the antithesis of such goals.

Hypothetically however, the first requirement for any such roll-back would be "how", and "how much".

In any mature, rational negotiating process, such change without information and the commitment which follows on decisions based upon that information, is likely to disadvantage one group or the other. We don't want, and likely the company doesn't either, to roll wages/benefits back so harshly that little is left of the original contract. Nor do we want to place the greater good in jeopardy by not coming to the table with realistic understandings. Its about balance.

Second and following very closely on the above, if the company is in such "dire" need of help that "immediate" assistance is required, and one's own union leadership appears to be balking, I think, given the observations of the CCAA process to date and the short history we have witnessed so far and given the words of Justice Farley on Friday, I strongly suspect the membership would not have a chance to "give voluntarily" before Justice Winkler acted unilaterally.

We need to keep in mind that there were strong signals in Justice Farley's actions last week which need to be "read" by all leaderships, management and union alike. As well, embedded in those signals is a statement of rationality. Maintaining a disciplined course of action where at least the approach is seen by all concerned parties to be predictable, (we know events and outcomes are not), the success of the filing is increased.

Third, the understanding that such a rational process is in place, tends to keep the irrational (emotions) in check. We cannot now run in the dark, because we only have a penlight and there are a lot of rocks in our way. There has never been a greater need for trust and belief in those who are doing the work, including those who are in charge of this process.

This likely doesn't help much Mitch, but perhaps it puts a perspective on things. One way or another, your leadership will be at the table, but even though we're miles away now from "pattern bargaining" and into a roll-back mode, it takes time to learn how to do it appropriately. I think Justice Winkler is there to "help" the process along. We'll see at the end of the day today.

Don

Hi Don. It's great to see you in here.

Yep, it's an emotional thought and flies in the face of rationality and discipline.... but for a fella who's having a hard time with not being able to do a damned thing to help, and tired of being there after more than a dozen years of the same thing.... I'm almost ready to pick up an airplane and chuck it aloft just to save some gas!

BTW, the guy you thought should have written me called me a while back and he's just as frustrated as I am it seems. Makes me think drastic measures are in order. Public perception needs to change as well.

....as always, of course, I could be seeing things with an odd slant.

Cheers,

Mitch

Archived