Jazz Pilots Ratify

Guest M. McRae

Guest M. McRae

Air Canada Jazz Pilots Ratify New Deal

MONTREAL, June 3 /CNW/ - Representatives of the Air Line Pilots

Association International (ALPA), the union representing the 1,400 Air Canada

Jazz pilots, announced today at their regular Executive meeting that the

highest governing body of the union, the Master Executive Council, ratified on

May 30th, 2003 a new agreement with Air Canada Jazz.

"We are continuing to push ahead our plans for Jazz to emerge as a

revitalized, cost-effective national airline," said Capt. Nick DiCintio,

chairman of the Air Canada Jazz pilots' unit of ALPA. "Our new deal has not

come without a measure of economic pain for our members and their families,

but we are determined to work with management, creditors, and the other unions

involved to secure the future of Jazz as a vital part of the Canadian national

transportation infrastructure through Air Canada."

The new pilot agreement entered into as part of Jazz's restructuring

provides for significant cost savings through productivity improvements, a

unique status pay system, and provision for up to 30 new jets in the 70 seat

size range to be brought into service at Jazz as part of the company's overall

fleet restructuring. Jazz will be unrestricted from operating jet aircraft

with up to 75 seats. Additionally, ALPA has indicated that they will submit a

proposal to the court-appointed monitor, Ernst & Young, to operate larger jet

equipment on a competitive basis. The monitor has agreed to design, implement,

and administer such a process.

ALPA is the first of the nine labour groups represented at Air Canada and

Air Canada Jazz to ratify an agreement reached in the restructuring process of

the Air Canada system.

Founded in 1931, ALPA is the world's oldest and largest airline pilots'

union, representing 66,000 pilots at 42 airlines in the U.S. and Canada. Visit

the ALPA website at http://www.alpa.org.

-30-

For further information: CONTACTS: Michael O'Connor Clarke, Tel:

(416) 964-6444 x.459; Capt. Vincent Charron, Jazz Pilot Spokesperson, Tel:

(613) 299-6964; jazzmecgov@alpa.org

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Nova Zemlya

This posting repeated elsewhere

Some very important details regional F/A's might consider with the new ACPA agreement and the announcements widely parroted in the media about Jazz being an LCC:

Regional Situation

Number of F/A's at Jazz prior to layoffs: 1020

Number of F/A's currently on layoff at the regional: 385 (I think- correct me if I am wrong) This does not include maternity, or SLOA

Also, a significant percentage called for under new tentative agreement between Teamsters and Jazz.

Probable layoffs scenario with parked Dashes, Tier III, and 146's, in the area of 50%

Plus ça change

Mainline Situation

Number of pilots currently at the mothercorp: 3500

Number of pilot layoffs proposed, to be implemented piecemeal until 2006: 300

Expansion of Zip to be implemented. CL-65's to be placed at regional and any larger jets to be determined by an arbitrator. Net job losses at regional, if 146's are parked. Mothercorp willing to sacrifice regional jobs to save mainline jobs, even though they may be more costly. Net regional jobs growth at Jazz: 0 Jobs

Probable layoffs at the mainline pilots union, with the expansion of Zip: 0%

Actual layoffs required at ACPA: 1050

Guest ACguy

These numbers are not only highly speculative, they are innacurrate. Why would someone post such non-sense?

Guest Nail

Nova,

Most recent info I have on the mainline pilot's situation is this:

About 800 total "reductions" are required

It will likely go this way:

350-400 layoffs (starting in Aug and over the next 12-18 months)
250 "packages" for senior pilots near retirement
150 normal scheduled retirements (over the term of this agreement)

This total reaches the 800 figure. The 747's gone brings up the need for a package of some sort. Most 47 Capt's are within 2 or 3 year of retirement, and retraining most would be cost prohibitive.

An arbitrator will decide the crewing of any new jets. Until then the 55 scope is in place. If we decide to beat each other up over this crewing, and end up doing for peanuts, I guess that time will tell. ACPA has stated it intends to do this crewing. (At whatever price the market will bear) Getting together would obviously be the order of the day. So far, I think GDR's idea seems like the best one. Other's have some possibilities too. DOH will not happen, IMO. Some realizm from both sides will help the whole process here. It will also stop the inevitable beating BOTH sides will take if the staus quo remains.

Nail

Guest Nova Zemlya

Mainline pilots are getting off rather lightly then, you think?

And, I guess my numbers, which were taken from the TO star were close- 300-450 give or take a few. Every other employee group, including those at the mothercorp is taking a far greater percentage.

There is no doubt in my mind that even with the 146's staying on and the CL-65's in their rightful place that net job growth for regional F/A's is still 0%

And, until the ab-original F/A's come up with date of hire for their own F/A's, then there is no way we can contemplate detente over merged lists and flow through.

Good luck with Ernst & Young. I am sure they take ACPA's interests to heart.

:[

NZ

Guest Skirt

You fail to mention the 16% wage cut the pilots are taking while the other groups decided to keep their pay in exchange for layoffs!

Don't just look at one part of the proccess, look at the whole picture.

Man, oh man, oh man, the manure flows thick now.... You think other groups aren't taking a pay hit???? Please look a little deeper. Estimates for my kind range between 20 and 23% all things considered. A hit hurts enough without it being kicked into the twilight zone and obscured by Newspeak.

Guest Nova Zemlya

Actually, Susan is very good at what she does, and there are few in the media who can actually touch her ability to spin a good business story with lots of factual sprinklings.

But, more to the point, you don't go giving out million dollar handshakes to retiring pilots in the middle of a bankruptcy proceeding.

And I thought that everybody was enthralled when Cathy offered retirement to its pilots. Man, this has to be the corporado story of the week!

NZ

Guest Nova Zemlya

Yes, and these 600-700 Pilots are going to be doing- what?

Playing golf and sailing their yachts not having to work because there is none, but they draw their paycheque just the same while everybody else faces the EI office.

Frikking GET REAL!!

%#@#%^*@$%

(No good job ever got done without a good deal of swearing and you should hear some of the F/A's right now.)

NZ

"you don't go giving out million dollar handshakes to retiring pilots in the middle of a bankruptcy proceeding"

...you don't tug on Superman's cape... etc..

But what's that got to do with the price of cheese in Florida? If you're swallowing a line from the rags that sez any million dollar handshakes are about to abound, then I think you should take some holidays.

"Playing golf and sailing their yachts"? Get real for god's sake and post some accurate freaking information. First of all the majority of guys (pilots) getting the pink slips are either on flat salary or are on the RJ. Our salaries are less then an incharge or a lead for that matter> If you don't believe me give me your email address and I'll send ya a copy of my T4. Second of all I can't afford to play golf let alone buy a yacht.

All this after being in this industry for 15 years and a university degree and paying for my flying skills. What skills do you have, just out of curiousity?

Guest floatrr

I will second your comments dozerboy.

I'm sure not many senior F/A's are seen doing all their shopping in the bargain section of Real Canadian Superstore. I don't think HNL has a Superstore anyway. Time for a reality check on how quickly we can be replaced folks. From Hooters to F/A in one month or less. Will train, No previous technical knowledge or other job skills required. Your Hooters experience is all you need. (In no way is this to be taken as a sexist comment. In place of Hooters you could insert Earl's ,McDonalds drive thru, Starbucks, Tim Hortons and so on.) Get real people!

Guest M. McRae

Mitch, so what kind of appelton's do you drink. I am going out to buy some rum and would like to try what the "expert" drinks.

Guest M. McRae

Mitch what kind of appeltons

Appelton Rum

Appelton Dark

Appelton 151 Proof

Appelton Estate 21 Year-Old Rum

Guest Skirt

The 16% is what will be in our TA. I have no Idea what the real # will be (after you factor in the other crap that's in there), but I'm sure it's higher. What was your % decrease (pure # only) before you factor in the other parts of your TA? I sure bet it wasn't 16%.

BTW. Our pay is around 5-10 % below what it's usualy is because we have already helped out AC with a # of LOA in the past few years. How about you?

Archived