Float plane vs boat

• 3 weeks later...

Last Friday......July 05

I am in my dinghy......transporting two folks ashore. The dinghy is 12 feet long, 40HP , has a 5 foot stainless radar arch and a rotating GREEN light when underway ..

I am the RED line

meeeee.jpg

She is driving a boat very similar to this vessel, below,

She is the YELLOW line

her.jpg

We are both travelling at high speed. As I am to her starboard, I have the right of way

I keep and eye on her and it looks like she has no intension of slowing down

I use an old sailors trick  to see if we are on a true collision course....in my case using my left hand I.hold my thumb up and block her vessel from view.....watching......if her vessel comes out to the right of my thumb she will pass the intersection point before me and conversely if she appears to the left of my thumb I will be at the intersection before her....assuming we both maintain our present speed.

That day her vessel did not move ahead or behind my thumb......we were on a collision course.

The question is .......will she see me in time and slow down as I am to her starboard  and have the right of way  or will she have "target fixation", staring straight ahead and not see me....?

The liitle black circles on the photo indicate decision time. She appears to be staring straight ahead....no head movement .......It is pretty obvious that fiberglass comes out better than inflated rubber should we collide......I throttle back.

She passes across my bow about 75meters away, still "on plane" and at the last minute sees me and waves and smiles.......

Sometimes I just wonder about other boaters..............

whattttt.jpg

Hi Kip….i keep my head on a swivel cruising the islands…despite the “rules of the water”, I never assume anything…..people think they are not the problem, it’s always the other guy.

We were anchored on a ball at Camelot yesterday, and two seadooers buzzed by us, 15 feet off our beam at 25 mph……and they looked surprised I was yelling at them to slow down.

2 hours ago, st27 said:

Hi Kip….i keep my head on a swivel cruising the islands…despite the “rules of the water”, I never assume anything…..people think they are not the problem, it’s always the other guy.

We were anchored on a ball at Camelot yesterday, and two seadooers buzzed by us, 15 feet off our beam at 25 mph……and they looked surprised I was yelling at them to slow down.

The quickest way to get them to slow down is to pull out a camera .....and look PO...not entertained. 🤨 Had the same thing happen when  anchored off the Statue of Liberty. They slowed down and never came back .....also got some QC boats to do the same thing in the Rideau where the speed limit is 10km in certain areas.

I believe the law is no Jet-skis or power boats, allowed at high speeds, within 125 feet of an anchored vessel

11 hours ago, Kip Powick said:

Last Friday......July 05

I am in my dinghy......transporting two folks ashore. The dinghy is 12 feet long, 40HP , has a 5 foot stainless radar arch and a rotating GREEN light when underway ..

I am the RED line

meeeee.jpg

She is driving a boat very similar to this vessel, below,

She is the YELLOW line

her.jpg

We are both travelling at high speed. As I am to her starboard, I have the right of way

I keep and eye on her and it looks like she has no intension of slowing down

I use an old sailors trick  to see if we are on a true collision course....in my case using my left hand I.hold my thumb up and block her vessel from view.....watching......if her vessel comes out to the right of my thumb she will pass the intersection point before me and conversely if she appears to the left of my thumb I will be at the intersection before her....assuming we both maintain our present speed.

That day her vessel did not move ahead or behind my thumb......we were on a collision course.

The question is .......will she see me in time and slow down as I am to her starboard  and have the right of way  or will she have "target fixation", staring straight ahead and not see me....?

The liitle black circles on the photo indicate decision time. She appears to be staring straight ahead....no head movement .......It is pretty obvious that fiberglass comes out better than inflated rubber should we collide......I throttle back.

She passes across my bow about 75meters away, still "on plane" and at the last minute sees me and waves and smiles.......

Sometimes I just wonder about other boaters..............

whattttt.jpg

Ummm… last Friday was June 28th. 😊

45 minutes ago, conehead said:

Ummm… last Friday was June 28th. 😊

OH, my.....yes, it was, you are correct ....I just turned and looked at my calandar, which had been turned to July....but I think, at my age,  I deserve a little credit for remembering what happened  5 days ago😆 

ScreenShot005.jpg

• Haha 2