SCAMS ABOUND

Kip Powick

I have taken the liberty of posting this information here in the NON AVIATION FORUM  and will duplicate it in  the regular AEF  forum in hopes that anyone  interested gets to see this.

I have never been a victim of a scam but I do receive  at least one TEXT a week from an unknown person(s) with local and out of country originating telephone numbers.

Most of the texts are one line, for example ;

1. Are you OK? I tried to call but did not get an answer
  2. Haven't heard from you for quite some time, are you ignoring me?
  3. I hope you have a great time during the holidays, let's catch up.

Obviuosly I DO NOT RESPOND and delete all similar Texts.

I know it is hard time for  alot of people with thew sag in  the economy but view/listen and perhaps you know someone who might benefit from this link, especially those that feel they can easily make a lot of money with little effort.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2023/12/22/myanmar-pig-butchering-scams-watson-pkg-intl-ldn-vpx.cnn

• Thanks 1

Some of the messages/emails look genuine……we just got a text for payment of outstanding charges for the 407etr (toll highway in Toronto) and looking for immediate pay to avoid further penalties….hhhmm … but we haven’t been on the 407 in about 4 years……a couple of things we noticed as suspicious…the phone number was a yul area code instead of yz..the charges were xx.xx$ instead of the normal convention $xx.xx and the kicker was the payment link was etr407 instead of 407etr….

fwiw….

• Like 1

I never respond to anything.  Just go to your account and sign in  - if there's a problem you will be notified as you sign in.

Text Scam Not Affiliated With Costco

There is currently a text scam circulating that asks members to click on a link to claim their Capital One Costco Mastercard Cash Back reward. The text is a SCAM. The Capital One Costco Mastercard Cash Back reward will be mailed by Capital One to eligible cardholders mid-January 2022. No digital coupon will be distributed. Do not answer the text or click on the link as it is not from Costco or Capital One. 

There is also a text scam circulating that asks members to click on a link to claim their 2% Executive Member reward. The text is a SCAM. Costco does not send text messages with respect to the 2% Executive Reward. The 2% Executive Reward is mailed to our members. Do not answer the text or click on the link as it is not from Costco.

Survey Scams

We have recently seen an increase in fraudulent surveys from parties claiming to be Costco. Individuals are given the opportunity to receive a free prize if they respond to the survey. We also do not ask customers to provide personal information online or via text. The only on-line request by Costco for personal information is through our official website, Costco.ca

Preventing Fraud  | Costco