Pilot POV combat ejection SU-25

Seeker

Whoops, posted a little too quickly.  The comments say this happened in Russia, training flight in June or July.  Pilot hit high-tension power lines which tore the fin off.  Anyway, pretty dramatic video.  Play it at 1/4 speed to catch a few frames of the aircraft tumbling away after the ejection.  Also, interesting to note the pilot pulling into a vertical climb before ejecting to get altitude.

Yeah, I was sent the link from another pilot that I know to be reliable and skeptical about these things.  The Youtube channel specializes in combat footage and has over 2 million subscribers.  Based on those two facts I accepted the video as presented.  Well, let that be a lesson to me!

38 minutes ago, Seeker said:

Yeah, I was sent the link from another pilot that I know to be reliable and skeptical about these things.  The Youtube channel specializes in combat footage and has over 2 million subscribers.  Based on those two facts I accepted the video as presented.  Well, let that be a lesson to me!

Caveat emptor 😀 Most of us have been caught in the past and will likely to be so in the future , you only have to research the posts in our other Non Airline forum to see examples 

12 hours ago, Skeptic said:

Caveat emptor 😀 Most of us have been caught in the past and will likely to be so in the future , you only have to research the posts in our other Non Airline forum to see examples 

OK….I’ll bite…from the Snopes article posted above, all speculation.

“ Russian government sources report “

“ The Russian Western Military District confirms a Su-25 was lost but they claim it was on a training flight.”

probably after his jet clipped a power line in training”

some conflicting messages about the cause of the crash.”

cited Russian news sources that posted the aftermath,”

and then on the flip side…this video actually shows Russian fighters skimming over hydro lines.

“ The video was posted on Twitter by Rob Lee, senior fellow for the Foreign Policy Research Institute’s Eurasia Program:” He shot his video of low flying Russian aircraft in Belgorod which is on the border with Ukraine.

‘Who is Rob Lee?

“ Rob Lee is a leading expert in Russian military affairs. A former U.S. Marine infantry officer, Rob previously served as an Alfa Fellow in Moscow, Russia, and as a visiting fellow at the Centre for Analysis of Strategies and Technologies (CAST), a Russian think tank focused on defense policy. Concurrently, he is a researcher at the War Studies Department at King’s College, London. 

At a time when the world is focused on understanding Russia’s intentions and its military capabilities, Rob Lee’s work as a senior fellow will further strengthen FPRI’s team of experts studying Russia and defense issues,”

Neither side of this story has been proven to be the truth and FYI Snopes is also not the “go to” news source it once was as it has shifted it’s bias in it’s reporting and fact finding sources.

https://www.allsides.com/news-source/snopes

Who to believe is the real question. Russian military sources working under the supervision of Putin, or Rob Lee, an expert in his field?

Edited by Jaydee
  • Thanks 1

Well, don't know what to believe now.  There are many websites all around the internet referring to this as combat footage.  Are they all wrong?  

One screen capture I got from the video seems to agree with the story about the fin damage when compared to a stock photo.  The flames from the tailpipe (which I initially assumed to be from anti-aircraft munitions) could just be from the unusual attitude caused by the ejection. 

Screen Shot 2022-10-31 at 08.45.50.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-31 at 08.19.30.png

One of the questions.......if it was an "accident" why would there not be more video leading up to the "accident" ?? Certainly didn't turn on the Go-Pro just prior to pulling the handles.

If "clipping the wires" was the actual cause, as stated by many Russian sources, video of the hit would reinforce the published "accident " scenario...IMO

7 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

One of the questions.......if it was an "accident" why would there not be more video leading up to the "accident" ?? Certainly didn't turn on the Go-Pro just prior to pulling the handles.

If "clipping the wires" was the actual cause, as stated by many Russian sources, video of the hit would reinforce the published "accident " scenario...IMO

Maybe it would show the pilot was careless/reckless just before hitting the wires?  I know whenever I used to fly under the wires I'd always aim to pass right under one of those big ball markers (they're a lot bigger up close!).  Makes it easier to judge your distance.  😮

After watching the video many times, I have two questions.

1) Leading up to the 'impact' and pitch up, there appears to be no roads or power line towers along the path of flight.

2) After the pilot lands, he looks back the way he came and again, no sign of power lines.

Not saying it's conclusive, but has anyone else noticed this?

Edited to add:

This video which shows more of the time on the ground looking back.

Edited by deicer

1 hour ago, Seeker said:

Maybe it would show the pilot was careless/reckless just before hitting the wires?  I know whenever I used to fly under the wires I'd always aim to pass right under one of those big ball markers (they're a lot bigger up close!).  Makes it easier to judge your distance.  😮

Well I have never flown under wires😂 but if I was on a Military forum I could relate a story about the time I almost never became a graduated alive pilot..😱