Canada dropping travel mask mandate and ending COVID-19 border and quarantine restrictions

Jaydee

OTTAWA -  

The federal government has announced it is dropping all COVID-19 entry restrictions, including: proof of COVID-19 vaccination and quarantine requirements at the border, doing away with mandatory random COVID-19 testing, making the ArriveCan application optional, and Canada is lifting the mask mandate on planes and trains.

Declaring the imminent end of these restrictions—effective Oct. 1— marks a major milestone in Canada's pandemic response.

Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos, Minister of Public Safety Marco Mendicino, Transport Minister Omar Alghabra and other relevant ministers and public health officials are speaking to the doing away with pandemic precautions Monday morning in Ottawa. 

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/feds-to-lift-border-vaccine-mandates-mandatory-use-of-arrivecan-1.6084119

Edited by Jaydee
  • Like 1

“ The government is arguing that, since most of the onerous parts of the mandates have been lifted, the lawsuit challenging them is now moot and should be dismissed," writes Rupa Subramanya. "It would allow the government to get away with anything, so long as it does so fast enough to avoid legal scrutiny."

“ In layman’s language, the government is arguing that, since most of the onerous parts of the mandates have been lifted, the lawsuit challenging them is now moot and should be dismissed. On Sept. 21, the Federal Court of Canada, under Judge Jocelyne Gagné, began hearing submissions from Presvelos and lawyers representing the attorney general, which I attended via Zoom.

In making the case that the suit should be dismissed, Robert Drummond, counsel for the attorney general, argued: “I think it’s fair to say that (there is) no evidence that such travel measures are returning. The statements made by ministers are political statements and press releases, not legal statements.”

In other words, the government’s lawyers made the extraordinary argument that what politicians say should be ignored, since such statements have no legal force. Pushing back, Presvelos argued: “My friend (the attorney general) would like this court to believe that media statements don’t matter. They are not legal statements. (I’m) not sure what type of democracy we exist in if we cannot trust the truthfulness of statements being made by government ministers.”

Edited by Jaydee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would support the political party that brings legislation whereby if proven in court, politicians who mismanage the country due to their political agenda or incompetence, can be personally held accountable and liable. Otherwise, they just avail themselves to vast government resources to delay and prevent due process and justice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1