Captains of the Clouds

Lots of great vintage aircraft.

http://www.impdb.org/index.php?title=Captains_of_the_Clouds

ovie (1942)
French title : Les Chevaliers du ciel (1942)

Starring:
James Cagney (Brian MacLean)
Dennis Morgan (Johnny Dutton)
Brenda Marshall (Emily Foster)
Alan Hale (Francis Patrick 'Tiny' Murph)
George Tobias (Blimp Lebec)
Reginald Gardiner (Scrounger Harris)

Brian McLean is a ruthless bush-pilot in Canada. He offers some other pilots an opportunity of earning a lot of money, but he marries the girlfriend of one of them. After listening to Churchill's famous "Blood, sweat and tears" radio address he and some other pilots decide to join the RCAF - and his superior is the pilot who's girlfriend he has married. Due to this and the fact, that McLean doesn't like to obey he gets into troubles.

My late father, then an RCAF Flight Sergeant, was heavily involved in the RCAF aspects of the movie.  He was later (along with 9 others - mainly officers including Billy Bishop) given a directors chair by Warner Brothers. Despite some heavy usage when being moved from one RCAF station to another in the '50's, the chair has survived.  Photo below. 

Several months prior to the beginning of filming Harvard 2689 (# is behind the roundel) suffered fairly substantial damage in a forced landing near Uplands. My father supervised the recovery as shown in the following photo.  2689 was shipped off to Noorduyn for repairs and returned with a spiffy new paint job just before filming started.  That, apparently is the reason it was selected for some of the PR photos and other close-ups.  

Useless trivia from a long time ago.  

NumberTwo18.jpg

NumberTwo19.jpg

Malcolm I have been trying to find a copy of this movie for a while.  I think it shows up on TCM (Turner Classic) every once in a while. Here is an interesting background on the filming from Vintage Wings....

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/203/Captains-of-the-Clouds--the-making-of-a-BCATP-Classic-Movie.aspx

Archived