Thats going to leave a mark

42 minutes ago, mo32a said:

Easy fix is to install a blast fence but a local official said they won't do anything because it has become  tourist attraction.

The problem with today's society is that we think we need to protect everyone from everything.  We should fall back to letting people make and pay (life, limb and money)  for their risk taking. eg. going out of bounds when you ski, you pay for your rescue etc. 

• 2 weeks later...

People being hurt so you have to ban the practice.  Talk about a waste of paper, instead let "Natural Selection" rule. B)

BBC News

Honolulu bans texting while crossing streets in bid to curb injuries

• 29 July 2017
Mobile phones have contributed to thousands of injuries in the US since 2000

Honolulu has become the first major US city to ban pedestrians from looking at mobile phones, texting or using digital devices while crossing the road.

The measure, which will take effect in Hawaii's largest city in October, is aimed at reducing injuries and deaths from "distracted walking".

First offenders caught gazing at devices, including laptops and digital cameras, face $15-$35 (£11-£26) fines.

Urgent calls to the emergency services are exempt from the ban.

The bill, also known as the Distracted Walking Law, was signed off by the mayor of Honolulu, Kirk Caldwell, on Thursday after the city council approved the measure by a vote of 7-2.

The new legislation, which will come into effect on 25 October, states that "no pedestrian shall cross a street or highway while viewing a mobile electronic device".

Repeat offenders face fines of up to $99.

The new law has met opposition from some members of the public, who accuse the government of over-regulation.

'We lack common sense'

"We hold the unfortunate distinction of being a major city with more pedestrians being hit in crosswalks, particularly our seniors, than almost any other city in the county," Mr Caldwell told Reuters news agency.

"Sometimes I wish there were laws we did not have to pass, that perhaps common sense would prevail, but sometimes we lack common sense," Mr Caldwell said.

Distracted walking incidents involving mobile phones accounted for more than 11,100 injuries in the US between 2000 and 2011, according to the US National Safety Council.

The figures for more recent years, which are not provided in the council's latest report, are likely to be higher.

20 hours ago, Malcolm said:

People being hurt so you have to ban the practice.  Talk about a waste of paper, instead let "Natural Selection" rule. B)

Does your province have a seatbelt law, rules against impaired driving, etc? Mine certainly does and they're on the books because "stupids" from our generation didn't know any better.

7 hours ago, J.O. said:

Does your province have a seatbelt law, rules against impaired driving, etc? Mine certainly does and they're on the books because "stupids" from our generation didn't know any better.

Yes we do, re stupids in our generation, the impaired driving rule first came out in Canada in 1921 so I guess you must be much older than I am. :D  By the by, that law is mostly about stopping stupid from hurting others. 

But to carry on, if we are to continue to pass laws to protect "Stupid "from hurting themselves I guess some new laws are required such as:1

. A law that prohibits crossing the street without look both ways first.

2. A law that makes it illegal to run out into traffic.

3. A law that makes it illegal to enter water for the purpose of swimming unless you have passed an approved swimming program and have documentation to prove that you have done so.

And the list could be endless.......

My point remains that we seem to believe every dumb action that could cause harm to an individual performing that action now requires a law in an attempt make stupid safer.

Evolution dictates that the weak, feeble and slow are the first to go.  I take this to include feeble minded as well.  if you stupidity gets you killed, that's just the circle of life.

Archived