Found elsewhere, but tough! You gotta

Mitch Cronin

ohmy.gif China Airlines takeoff.... every last inch of runway used!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XbINavHtiA

...if you listen real close, I think the lady says "step on the gas #%*!head!" wink.gif

Here is some more info on the background of this incident.

http://www.japannewsreview.com/society/kyu...006page_id=2291

China Airlines jet hits ramp at end of Saga Airport runway

A China Airlines jet taking off from Saga Airport went 60 meters beyond its runway before it finally became airborne. The airplane was 30 minutes later forced to return to the same airport after the pilots experienced trouble with its speedometers, the Asahi Shimbun reports.

The jet, a Boeing 737-800, had just finished repairs after a 28 inch crack had been found in the plane’s fuselage last month, was not carrying any passengers and there were no injuries or damage reported.

The plane was unable to take off after having passed through the entire runway, and went 60 meters into the so-called “overrun zone.” The jet also hit one of the 5 ramps placed at the end of the overrun zone, probably with one of its wheels, airport officials commented. An AP report also suggested one of the lamps at the end of the runway had been discovered broken, although it was unclear whether it was linked to Friday’s incident.

According to an official from the Transport Ministry official there had been a discrepancy between the output of the pilot and co-pilot’s speedometers, which also made the pilot’s decide to return to Saga airport.

A China Airlines jet of the same model exploded into a fireball at Okinawa’s Naha Airport on Aug. 20, after all passangers and crew members had been evacuated to safety.

Related posts

China Airlines aircraft likely leaking fuel even as it was taxiing

China Airlines paints over name, logo on wreckage of jet at Naha Airport

China Airlines apologizes for fire, says cause still unknown

New runway raises hopes, questions

I talked to a former China Airlines pilot who heard this explanation;

Captains airspeed indicator was underreading so he didn't rotate till his ASI was at VR at the very end of the runway - otherwise everything was normal (except for crosscheck of 3 ASI's to determine the error)

Chico

There's a clue in that story that caught my attention.

The jet, a Boeing 737-800, had just finished repairs after a 28 inch crack had been found in the plane’s fuselage last month

So the aircraft was apparently on the ground for some time while repairs were done. Am I the only one who suspects that the pitot tubes weren't protected for at least some of the time that the aircraft was stuck on the ground?

Archived