Anyone using AVG Free Edition ?

Kip Powick

I "was" using the free version and all of a sudden it stopped scanning email. As you are aware it puts a little tag on the end of each email it scans and if one is getting a long email a pop-up in the lower tray comes alive and shows the scanning progress.

All that stopped and no matter what I did I could not get it to function again. Removed the program, did a new install with a new AVG 7.5...same thing. Even the email stats box does not show any inbound or out bound email scans. Went to many forums but no one really addresses that problem. I have no idea why it just stopped and even the new program I downloaded will not scan yet all the control centres etc say it is working at 100% and all updates are up to date etc.

Anyhow, I just removed it and I think I'll go back to Avast..it works fine on my laptop.

I'll try... Open AVG and under View/Component/ E-mail Scanner (should be checked) then click on it to open another window. Hit configure and make sure the Scan incoming & outgoing mail is checked.

Worth a try anyway,

Slim

Yup, it was checked...............I dumped it, (AVG) and added Avast ! but Avast! willl not scan email if you are using a SSL connection (Secure) . It really isn't a big deal bercause Sympatico uses Micro Trend to scan email before it leaves the server to the client.

Just wondered what happened . Used to have that little message on the end of all my emails and did get stats .........but no more.....

I guess you get what you pay for.....in this case..nothing for "free" biggrin.gif

I didn't respond, Kip, because I read that you had abandoned AVG. However, if you open AVG "Control Center" (right click the tray icon) and then launch "Control Center", there are a series of functions highlighted including "e-mail scanner" which should be reported as operational. If it is not, there should be a pathway for resolution. If it is functional then...????

If I've indirectly suggested the same process as Slim, I apologize. Personally, I've been very happy with AVG with no problems.

Regards

Well I reinstalled this morning...same thing........called the Tech guys...they are amazed and want me to bring the tower in...arrrggghhhh all those wires and plug- ins to disconnect....

I'm thinking about it............... cause it annoys me. ...not being able to figure it out.

Slim, as you said worth a try but everything says it is fully functional but the email scanner is not working...just sits there like a pilot ...doing nothing ...once at altitude !!! wink.gif

Archived