Is the Author correct ?

Kip Powick

I am not the author, this was passed to be........interesting... but I'm sure the author must have been missing something..or is the author correct??

I have been watching the news, the past few weeks, about the price discrepancies, now that the Canadian and American dollars are now trading at par. People are complaining about the cost of winter jackets in Quebec, the cost of books at the book store, the cost of toys at Wal-Mart and the amount charged to cross the bridge to get the US to scoop up bargains. Yet no one complains about the biggest rip-off of them all.

Do you realize that we are all being cheated every day by the big oil companies and no one has noticed? Let me explain it to you in simple terms. Crude oil is sold around the world in US dollars. On January 1, 2007 a barrel of oil was selling for approx. $75US. That translated to approx. $110Can. On October 1, 2007 a barrel was selling for approx. $80US. Which translates to approx. $80Can or at par. What that means is that we here in Canada, can boast that the cost of a barrel of oil, for us, has decreased by $30 a barrel. No other country in the world has ever seen a decrease of that magnitude. That should make us ecstatic. But we are not, because in that same period, the price of a liter of gasoline has increased by $.15. I wonder what excuse the big oil companies are going to come up with for not passing some savings on to us consumers? They do not hesitate to pass price increases on to us, do they?

I tried to get tires yesterday in the States.. the price per tire in Canada was $201.99CAD + GST/PST at Costco. At Costco in the US the price was $149.99US + taxes (don't know what they are) which would've saved me about $350-400. I went down there yesterday and was told that they were booked solid and would be hours before they could do my tires. I asked why they were so busy and they replied: "I guess you're dollar is doing good or something because pretty much every car we're doing is from Canada".

I am not the author, this was passed to be........interesting... but I'm sure the author must have been missing something..or is the author correct??

I have been watching the news, the past few weeks, about the price discrepancies, now that the Canadian and American dollars are now trading at par. People are complaining about the cost of winter jackets in Quebec, the cost of books at the book store, the cost of toys at Wal-Mart and the amount charged to cross the bridge to get the US to scoop up bargains. Yet no one complains about the biggest rip-off of them all.

Do you realize that we are all being cheated every day by the big oil companies and no one has noticed? Let me explain it to you in simple terms. Crude oil is sold around the world in US dollars. On January 1, 2007 a barrel of oil was selling for approx. $75US. That translated to approx. $110Can. On October 1, 2007 a barrel was selling for approx. $80US. Which translates to approx. $80Can or at par. What that means is that we here in Canada, can boast that the cost of a barrel of oil, for us, has decreased by $30 a barrel. No other country in the world has ever seen a decrease of that magnitude. That should make us ecstatic. But we are not, because in that same period, the price of a liter of gasoline has increased by $.15. I wonder what excuse the big oil companies are going to come up with for not passing some savings on to us consumers? They do not hesitate to pass price increases on to us, do they?

Fraid not.

The Bank of Canada exchange rate on Jan 2/07 was 1.1645 (C$0.85 to the USD).

That would make 75 dollar crude C$87.36/barrel. I haven't got the slightest clue where he gets $110.

At today's crude price ($97) and exchange rate (.92), the C$ price of crude is $89.24.

Frankly, gasoline around here has pretty much remained a few pennies over, or a few pennies under, $1/litre all year. I don't see a 15/cent litre jump, unlike June 06 when I paid up to $1.32 a litre on a trip to Ottawa.

That's what I hate about conspiracy theorists. They tend to be so warped in their view that they will pull any stat out of their åss to make point. Too bad they aren't scrutinized more carefully.

Guest rattler
Gasoline prices have dropped in Edmonton over the last few months.

As did they in YYC also but yesterday they jumped up (6 cents) to an average of 1.02 per litre.

Archived