By the way Don...

...I've been thinkin' someone might have some fun rubbing your nose in it with that comment you made recently about being unable to stir up some dialogue in this here "changed" AEF. .... tongue.gif ... well, someone might?... biggrin.gif

wink.gifbiggrin.giflaugh.gif

Well, there I was Mitch, in the corner all alone, making babbling noises, putting on my best pilot-pout so that even Fran noticed and THIS all happens. Fine. laugh.gif I thought all the commiepinkothumbsuckers had given up as I approach a tottering 60...At such an age, one is entirely invisible to anyone under 45 but as an old student from SFU I'm doing my best to put my early protest training to use...

Ok then. tongue.gif AEF's not changed. Like the parrot, (for Python fans), perhaps some 'ere was jes' restin' or noiled tew ees pehrch?

Good shot. biggrin.gif

laugh.gif Well I guess there may be a few around here who're pinin' for the fjords.... or something like that. tongue.gif

On a somewhat related note (?)... I'm almost happy to hear Kip, Greg and some others (including yourself in a short while I guess!) won't be able to use the private ACPA forum.... keeps 'em here more instead.

Selfish bugger, aren't I?... biggrin.gif

On a somewhat related note (?)... I'm almost happy to hear Kip, Greg and some others (including yourself in a short while I guess!) won't be able to use the private ACPA forum.... keeps 'em here more instead.

Selfish bugger, aren't I?...  biggrin.gif

I can't help but see the irony in all of this. This is not to say that other retirees haven't earned the respect they deserve, but Don has done more good things for ACPA and Air Canada in one year than many will do in their entire career, only to be shut out from his peer group's forum the day after he retires. That said, I suspect Don will have many things to occupy his time, including all those "honey-do's" that Fran's been compiling on a list on the refrigerator door! wink.gif

JO, Mitch;

There are many, many on this team that do great work, almost all of it unsung, both on the ground (the FDA guys especially - as you know wink.gif ) and in the air - it's wonderful to be part of this profession. It was an honor to meet Don Bateman at our last ACPA Flight Safety Symposium, a true modern aviation hero and legend...saved thousands of lives...he's the guy who invented GPWS and EGPWS.

Sometimes I'm not too sure if ACPA's members really know or appreciate how much work and true care goes into running the Association - it's hard, thankless work that sometimes has to make really tough decisions that don't please. My hat's always off to those who volunteer their time away from family, friends, from flying, from vacation and from fun, whether I agree with them or not. Criticize long enough and harshly enough, especially without ever having done any of the work along the way oneself, and those who might just bring some insight and talent to the work, just plain won't.

And yes, Fran's got lots of work ahead - painted the deck - we've been meaning to do that for 20 years. And no, I won't be lost for work...got a 4x5 plate camera that needs trucking around the mountains again. So don't think I'll be hanging round too many forums, not that it isn't therapeutic! biggrin.gif

got a 4x5 plate camera that needs trucking around the mountains again.

Now that sounds like a terrific way to spend some time!

Do you know when/where your last flight will be Don?

Hi Mitch;

Re last flight, well I don't bid a block any more and have to choose flights from open time, although I'll likely displace for the last one, but I won't know that until mid September - I go at the end of Oct. Likely a Frankfurt or London flight from Vancouver as the Asian flights get in pretty early in the morning...(if ya knows what I mean, b'y... ).

Been doing black and white landscape photography since the early 70's...sloshing around in the dark with smelly chemicals, wrinkled hands...great way to spend a day! laugh.gif It's a dying art but I have a lot of film and paper left still....digital is ok but I'm not sure of the archival qualities of the inks...well processed B&W photos can last hundreds of years in the right conditions.

Don

Archived