Don't mess with a retiree

I owed a buddy fifty US dollars. I wanted to send him a money RBC money order so I went to my bank…… huh.gif

I patiently waited in line and then it was my turn..

“Good morning, Mr. Powick,” Kathy said, “what can I do for you?”

“Well I have these five US ten dollar bills and would like to get a fifty dollar US money order”.

“OK..may I have your client card please?”

“What for?”

“I have to swipe it and get into your accounts”.

“What for?”

“I have to check that you have accounts at our bank.”

“Shelly, how long have you worked at this bank?”

“I guess it would be about nine years now”

“And I have been coming in here for over 25 years and you have dealt with me during your time at the bank, have you not?.”

“Yes I have”

“Do you think I have accounts here?”

“I know you have accounts here.”

“Then why do you want to swipe my card to check if I have an account here??”

“Well we always do that and I…….”

“Shelly, if I didn’t have an account here would you refuse to exchange my five US ten dollar bills into a fifty dollar US money order?”

“Well, no….I could give you a money order if you had the cash .”

“Shelly, what did I put on the counter when I came to your window?”

“Ah..er..these five US ten dollar bills??”.

“May I have the money order now?”

“Do you mind if I just ask a supervisor a question first?”

“Be my guest”.

A few moments pass and Gloria comes over……

“Morning Kip, is there a problem?”

“Not really. I just want a fifty dollar US money order..here’s the cash…in US funds”

“Well, we’re supposed to swipe your Client Card…y’know..to make sure you have an account and all that”.

“Gloria, if I didn’t have an account but passed you five US ten dollar bills could I get a US Money order? ”

“Certainly”

OK..let’s pretend you don’t know me..in fact I have never been in this bank in my entire life..OK??..let’s try and make believe you don’t know me…may I have a fifty dollar US Money order?”

“You are not going to hand over your client card are you??”

“You’ll have to pry it out of my hands when hell freezes over.”

“Give him a money order Kathy.....…Have a nice day, Kip”.

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Just goes to show what you get when you pay minimum wage for service jobs.

That story is as good as giving coins with your twenty and then waiting for the clerk with the facial piercings and the rise in their pants around their knees to find a calculator to figure out the proper change to give you wink.gif

Iceman

Hi Kip,

I happily ceased using the government protected eastern based banks over 25 years ago. I have had excellent service from the credit unions and now the "virtual" banks like ING etc. are also equally excellent. If you live close to the border another alternative is the very accommodating US banking system.

It's too bad they don't have Vancity out east. They are the best in British Columbia.

But, as a front line member of a big corportation I would run into clients like Kip and

would wonder why they would want to take on the establisment and ask question

why we did things the way we did. BIG corporations just have funny policy.

Try calling aeroplan and try and get service without giving them your number. Even if

you have been a member since birth and had dealings with them 500 times they will

still want to know your account number. I can hear it now "try getting a money

order by phone".

Actually---I'm with Kip. I've "been there"...it's the Five Easy Pieces syndrome--you know, chicken salad sandwich. When I questioned a teller asking a ridiculous question, I was characterized as "intimidating". Just go along, they said and I asked, "Why?". "Can't they just think for gawds sake?".

Of course, I'm the guy who walks into a retailer and waits for service while two sales clerks chat about...whatever. I don't wait long. Eventually I walk over and say something to the effect; "Sorry to interrupt your conversation but I wonder whether either of you could spare a moment to help a customer?" And to them...that's offensive!! (Smartass mumbled audibly but sotto voce).

Archived