Reflection

Mitch Cronin

"All of the rocky and metallic material we stand on, the iron in our blood, the calcium in our teeth, the carbon in our genes were produced billions of years ago in the interior of a red giant star. We are made of star stuff."

-Carl Sagan

(from "The Cosmic Connection")

When I read that it tweaked a memory... so I came here to look... searched for "star stuff", and sure enough found this from Don Hudson:

"The bits of matter (molecules) which make up our brains, (mind is another matter... ), are made of star stuff. When we "look" at the universe, we look at ourselves. Our primordial connections with the images from Hubble is profound and ordinary, all at once."

Hot damn we've had some fine discussions here over the years! smile.gifbeer_mug.gif

We are all brothers. Or sisters. Or both. Or neither. Some of us have a little more dark matter than others. Some shine. Some rotate on their axis at an alarming speed. Some think and deliver at light speed. Some are like black holes taking everything in and letting nothing out.

Wow. laugh.gif

Those quotes remind of the comments by astronauts and cosmonauts when they see Earth from space. The experience seems to inspire a combination of awe, exaltation, and humility. We are indeed all brothers and sisters. I just wish we could get along better as a family.

If only that "star stuff" included a highly infective virus that made people more loving, considerate, tolerant and forgiving...

ccairspace

Archived