AC- Pets and Pillows

Kip Powick

Absolutely. But for airlines, it's not just the cost of the food, it's the handling cost as well. It's one thing to make a thousand meals, quite another to do it to meet flight schedules, then get it through security to the flights, etc, with specialized catering trucks, trolleys, trays, cups, etc. If you got a place near the airport and supplied box lunches to passengers, they would be doing their own "logistics", hence the ability to offer that service at a good price and make money.

Getting a vehicle through security is no problem, especially with the high standards of security at airports throughout Canada. rolleyes.gif

Ideally, the meals would be supplied airside, so passengers wouldn't have the hassle of schlepping even more stuff through security. And... with 24 hours notice, one might even be able to request a specialty meal, like vegan, diabetic, kosher etc. Depending on the set up, one might even be able to take a "hot" meal on board.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting your post but are you suggesting that an airline sell meals in the terminal post-security? If you are, that isn't possible at some airports (such as YYZ) without ridiculous fees being charged to provide that service. I believe that Westjet can't sell headsets post-clear in YYZ because its considered a "service" and thus something the AA can collect a fee from.

Getting a vehicle through security is no problem, especially with the high standards of security at airports throughout Canada. rolleyes.gif

Maybe I'm misinterpreting your post but are you suggesting that an airline sell meals in the terminal post-security? If you are, that isn't possible at some airports (such as YYZ) without ridiculous fees being charged to provide that service. I believe that Westjet can't sell headsets post-clear in YYZ because its considered a "service" and thus something the AA can collect a fee from.

No, I was responding to ccairspace's comment about entrepreneurial opportunities. I wasn't suggesting the sale of meals post-security, but pre-security or better yet, off airport. But it won't work because people won't buy meals off airport. They won't make the deviation. They would bring a sandwich from home first.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting your post but are you suggesting that an airline sell meals in the terminal post-security?

Oh goodness no! ohmy.gif Keep the airlines out of it!

I was thinking of an independent outfit setting up shop and selling food packaged specially for taking on board, with the option of choosing from special diet menus. It would probably mean a return to plastic knives... wink.gif

Not everyone wants to wolf down a Timmy's donut and coffee before a 3+ hour AM flight, and breakfast wraps are OK... once or twice a year. It just struck me that if a passenger had the option of picking up a (well insulated) hot meal, or salad, sandwich and dessert etc., all in a tidy little parcel, just before boarding, and then could dump the packaging in the trash on board, it might be a service that would sell.

Cheapskates like me will likely continue bringing sandwiches from home... biggrin.gif

ccairspace

Guest Zebigboss
Already being done at a number of airports in the USA.

The fairmont hotel in YVR offers this service and I think the Sheraton in YYZ does as well.

Archived