The secret to a longer life... Discovered!

Mitch Cronin

I've figured it out! I know the answer, it has to be!

We're born with a counter... the counter starts the moment we're born, counting backward toward zero... at zero, that's it, none left, time to go. The tricky thing is none of us knows what number it starts with, and it'll be different for all of us... some may start with many. many thousands, other unfortunate souls may have single digits...

You might be thinking I'm talking about hours of life right? Wrong! It counts hours of sleep! So to prolong your life, get less sleep! That's it! I'm sure of it... That just has be the reason my body is forever resisting sleep... and with all these sleepless days/nights, my counter slows down and I'll live longer than I would have if I'd been sleeping a regular 6 hours a day (or whatever I'd be getting if I was "normal)...

Momma always told me there was a silver lining to every dark cloud... I knew it had to be there someplace! Now I feel better! biggrin.gif

.... now, having solved that puzzle, I'll shift my attention to those funny little bubbles that occasionally descend in the fish tank and then pop, leaving nothing behind but a much more microscopic bubble of air that then ascends like any other normal bubble... blink.gif ??

...by the way, can anyone explain to me how fish change altitude without forward motion? I understand they have "swim bladders" that're involved with that somehow, but if they're heavier than water in the first place, what good does emptying that ballast tank do?... and if they're lighter than water, how does filling that bladder make them descend?

Guest Touchdown

Mitch....

How does a 100,000 tonne tanker float ? Same way, by displacing more water (in weight) than the boat weighs.......Good old Archemedes ! (Don't jump all over me if it wasn't Archemedes....but I do believe it was.) If the weight of water displaced is greater than the weight of the displacing item, it floats. If the weight of the object doesn't displace more weight in water, it sinks !

THat's why the fat lady floats ! (With apologies to all fat ladies). It is also the same reason fat guys who dive need more weight on their weight belt to be able to descend....I always found that somewhat counter-intuative.

Cheers Touchdown.

I think my science teacher would realize I actually stayed awake for his lectures

Hi Touchdown...

I get Archimedes' principle. I think I stayed awake for that too... So I can understand how the little buggers can float, or descend at will... I think...

What I don't quite get is: once they've changed the volume of water they're displacing and descended, how can they then reverse that to ascend again? If I understand submarines right, they fill ballast tanks with water to descend, then pump the water out to ascend, but those things are filled with air that replaces the water in those tanks, right?... do fish have air in those bladders? I guess that would explain it?

Cpdude... Krikey mate, I dunno!? If I've got the secret to longer life right, then I guess it depends on whether or not having fish helps you sleep? tongue.gif

Cheers,

Yes Mitch, they do have air in those bladders.

"Swim Bladder

The swim bladder is an air-filled bladder used for keeping the fish in a state of neutral buoyancy where they neither sink nor float. Thus fish are able to sleep in mid water. Numerous species have altered swim bladders to fit their living habits. Some species can swallow air, which is passed to the swim bladder, where the oxygen is extracting. This adaption is especially convenient in oxygen-starved waters."

fish anatomy

This internet fad is going to catch on, I think.

Archived