A new Arrow?

Mitch Cronin

I heard from a fella at work this week that there's someone around here trying to build a new Avro Arrow??? Anyone know anything about that? He claimed that there are several people with various bits of the originals all around the YYZ area... Is he dreaming, or have I been sleeping more than I thought?

Mitch,

I was in trenton last month at the museum where they are restoring an old Halifax and the curator confirmed that there is an Arrow being built.

FYI, they are looking for volunteers to help in the restoration of the Halifax, I may spend a few days of my vacation doing so.

Thanks Seeker.... I don't think I share that man's skepticism. He's completely discounting the notion of using the same materials, for instance... Don't quite know why that's not a possibility. And even with different/upgraded material specs, I see no reason to accept his assumptions of huge development costs. It's not as though the machine would be anything other than "expirimantal", and so designated, costs don't need to even approach those for what will enter production for common use. ...also there's no need to actually fly the thing supersonic.

Ok, so it wouldn't actually BE an Arrow. But a flying replica would sure be a huge attraction at airshows!

I've heard of that Halifax restoration project Robert... I understand it won't fly either, will it?

The halifax is strictly for exibit, it will never fly!

Therer was actually a funny story to that aircraft, there was only 1 survivor when the aircraft went down, the tail gunner. the museum found him and brought him in to see the project, they then showed him his coffee thermos that was still in the wreckage, the gunners first response was to open the thermos and then say "danm the coffee is cold"

The halifax is strictly for exibit, it will never fly!

dry.gif May as well be made of cardboard, or plastic then. In my mind, that's not the "restoration" an aircraft deserves. Airplanes fly. If it don't fly, it's not an airplane.

Glad to hear the old guy got his thermos back. wink.gif

Well mitch, you know as well as I, once the work is done, some one will say lets get a temp certificate and have a short flight for old time sake.I would live to see it go up.

the last time I was there, a couple of the engines were hung and new props were being installed, so who knows! thumbup.gif

Archived