Living in Alberta

Kip Powick

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take a good look folks because regardless if you smoke, drink or recycle every last one of us will be facing the same picture eventually..

By the way is that a scene from Six Feet Under ?  rolleyes.gif

cool26.gif Hahhhhahahahahahhhhhhaaaaaa Not me sister! I've got special things planned and I'll be looking down from above for a change! biggrin.gif

Mitch

While I applaud your committment to recycling and composting, aren't you going a bit far this time?

I know you're a really nice guy and all but I don't want you as compost on my grave! No offense but thats a bit too special!

Sorry but sometimes I just have to let the Black Scot heritage out and we're known for a rather twisted and dark sense of humour. unsure.gif

Apologies to Mitch and anyone else that I may have offended with this post in advance. unsure.gif

The bottle depots do take plastic containers (bottles, jugs) that you have paid a deposit on.  Plastic milk continers are accepted at the same locations that you take your paper & tins for recycling.  The problem with all dumps in Canada is that if you are willing to pay the fee, they will take whatever you want to dispose of.  Most with no sortation except for Hazardous materials.

Alberta ranks 2nd in Canada after BC. BC recovers 49% of their plastic items and Alberta recovers 45%.

http://www.solidwastemag.com/PostedDocumen...0in%20canada%22

As far as compostable items, the folowing tip is from the GVRD Landfill page.

And things are evolving, yes even in Calgary.

Hi Rattler,

Speaking of Calgary only... where can one take plastics such as detergent bottles, sour cream containers, shampoo bottles, yogurt cups, ect?

That's a lot of left over plastic for a town of over one million and I don't know of any other cities that don't collect this stuff. I can see statisics for deposit items like pop bottles but there is know way to really tell about the rest. The only solution I've found is paying for a service to pick up my stuff on the same day as garbage day. I know most of friends and neighbors throw their stuff in the regular garbage and I can't blame them for the inconvenience.

Anyway, back to the Gulf Islands... there is more sailing to be done and not enough summer left.

Specific to YYC, plastic containers that do not have a deposit fee can not at the moment but of course that is why the city is starting up a blue box program. You have talked about what is being done in YVR. Are you talking about Vancouver proper or Delta or North Van or ? Just curious as if things have not changed, they all do something different when it comes to waste.

Archived