Luggage

Trader

Anyone have a recommendation on good travel luggage! I've looked at hard sided stuff but don't think I need it (could be wrong). Basically, I want 2 pieces as large as they can be and of good quality.

Any other suggestions would be welcomed.

Guest rattler

Not an indication of brand loyalty but I have been using the luggage sold at Sears and the Bay under the "AirCanada" brand for a number of years and find that it stands up well to the rigors of belly loading. There are 2 or 3 grades of this luggage but both Sears and the Bay put them on sale at least twice a year. They are not cheap but def. do stand up.

eg. Air Canada 1200-Denier 29" Upright Pullman

# expandable

# retractable handle and corner wheels

# 4 outside pockets and 2 zippered inside pockets

# polyester with PVC backing

$179.99

Having been in the luggage deconstruction business for a while, the only recommendation I would give is the Samsonite Oyster line. Expensive, yes, but from what I've experienced, the most durable.....

Iceman

That's what we use, the Samsonite Oyster, and I have had no complaints. Very sturdy and almost crushproof and will never tear. Using a large and medium for the two of us for about 10 years now...still in good shape.

These have flipout handle on one end and two wheels on the other end so your wife can tow them about in the terminals, parking garages etc. with n-o-o-o problems biggrin.gif

If you're planning on traveling through the UK, they limit the weight of your bags to 32 kg. It's not a question of paying for anything more, they just won't accept it. Baggage handler's back issues.

I use hard side as in the long run it is more secure. Notwithstanding you have to leave the damm thing unlocked going through the land of paranoia. There are new locks though that only the TSA have keys for (yeah, right!) so you can leave your bag locked.

You also get what you pay for. I cheaped out and got a no-name brand. The locks jammed on it the first time I used it. The Saudi officials were not amused when I couldn't unlock my own bag.

If you're passing through France, brand name luggage here is dirt cheap compared to the UK or Canada.

Regardless, in Canada you're looking at 200-300 a piece for a really good (like a Samsonite or Delsey) case.

Anyway, that's been my experience. Hope that helps!

Archived