The "Ultimate" biplane continues

user posted image

Not sure what success this machine had in the real world, (I guess it's long since outdated by now?) but it sure has been an enduringly popular design among the remote controlled aircraft crowd.

Something about it's design that the guys who fly them find very appealing.

"Crisp response" (among other things), they say....

...at least they're not all still covering them exactly as shown on the box with "BlueHawk" on the side. biggrin.gif

For aesthetics in a biplane, I prefer the rounded features and smoother lines of this a/c myself:

user posted image

A Skybolt...

For those who scoff at these toys... how many airplanes have you "flown" that can stand still (with some torque roll) with their noses pointed straight up, and then accelerate? biggrin.gif (all of those pictured here, with the possible exception of that smaller Ultimate, will do so... My little Black Beast there is the most powerful of the bunch, powered by a little 4-stroke 2.5 hp 1.5 cu/in (25cc) engine smile.gif )

Any wide open field will do... but there are "clubs" who teach and arrange "fun fly" events and what-not... I learned the hard way without instruction (over a period of a few years and several crashes and rebuilds) on a gravel road in front of where I lived... then migrated to a friends field.

Lots of people find sod farms and make arrangements with the owners... Some folks add floats and then any lake or pond works.

It's good for a yuk. Interesting range of folks that find an interest in the hobby... from rich to poor, ...older retired everybody's to the very young and anyone in between. All seem to have a fascination for airplanes in common.

Reasonable guess, but in the rc versions, the biplanes are more of a handfull... I think they're popular mostly because of their behavior... They respond exceptionally well to all input, usually doing exactly what they're told. (which is what makes them a wee bit of a handfull for the lesser experienced folk) Most are well powered and usually almost as fast as similar sized monoplanes. They do slow down, right-now-like, when throttle is chopped, so that can be a bit challenging for some during landing... especially with a three blade prop (most use 2 blades).

Guest StuckinTO

Thanks, Mitch ... this is just what I need, something to spend more money on!

Well, now that you caught my attention, is that "Black Beast" yours? I used to fly R/C and I loved it ... then I bought a computer and since my finances couldn't support two bottomless money pits, I stayed with the computer.

I would, however, love to get back into the R/C models again though. Where would a guy have to go to find a field from the Woodbridge area? Also, what is the majority type of flying in this area ... sport, scale or pattern? I always wanted a Pitts Special but got caught up in the pattern and never got around to it.

http://airraceaddict.tripod.com/airshowpg2.html

That's a link to Joann Osterud's Ultimate Bi Plane. I had the chance to hold the ribbon bars with another airshow voulenteer who didn't get danger pay either. The best seat in the house that day was watching the Ultimate go by, inverted, cutting a ribbon 10 feet above the runway. The sad part is, no Airshow has impressed me since biggrin.gif

StuckinTO,

If you give me a sec, I'll find a web forum for RC nuts where you can learn where all the clubs near you might be...

http://www.rccanada.ca/bb/index.php

There, try that. biggrin.gif

Yessir, that little beastie be mine... I haven't flown it in a little over a year now, but she's tempting me.... (way "overpowered", if you believe such a thing is possible... I don't, untill I'm flyin' it!)

I'd guess, from what I've seen in this area, that sport flying and just having a gas is the most popular sort ... but I have seen some scale and pattern nuts around too.

Spinnaker,

I tried about a dozen times to fly these little buggers... got discouraged after about the 12th crash requiring about the 6th major rebuild of the second airplane... gave up for a couple years.... then a friend of mine took me to an rc airshow! I was hooked. cool26.gif

Guest StuckinTO

Thanks for the link, Mitch. I just browsed for a couple of minutes and I found a name that I used to fly with 18 years ago. I'm sure I'll find a few others. Maybe we'll meet up at a field one of these days soon.

I'd love to see your "beast" take to the air.

Guest Ram_Man

Thought I'd make mention of the full size Ultimate, the brainchild of Air Canada DC-9 Captain and Canadian aerobatic champ of the 80's Gordon Price.

Bit of an article here on the full size aircraft by well known aircraft photographer and pilot Budd Davison from Model Airplane News.

Ultimate Bipe

Had the pleasure of meeting Gord several times in YQT when in command of the DC-9. Cool guy. Even have an autographed poster of him flying his Pitts Special (before the Ultimate) inverted past the CN Tower in the early 80's.

Cheers,

Tom

Fly R/C at North of Superior Flyers

cool26.gif My initial post was an attempt to draw someone into the conversation... cool26.gif

I never met Gord Price... (heard he was flying 47's last?)

Though I've seen him fly, and I have met his son... nice guy. biggrin.gif

Now where else have I seen that name, "Bluehawk"? ph34r.gifwink.gif

Alt*....

Something gives me a hunch there might be a fellow right here who's flown that very machine in that last picture....  biggrin.gif

Uh, nope sorry not me Mitch. Wish I had though wink.gif

Archived