Low vis in YYZ Q ...?

Mitch Cronin

This was a little more than a week ago, but until now, I haven't had the time, nor the inclination to ask...

A friend and I were taxiing a '67 to a gate on terminal two in YYZ, in the fog... thick fog... so thick that, although I knew we weren't alone heading south on Bravo, we couldn't see anyone else until the 340 being towed ahead of us came to a stop. What an incredibly odd sight!

Suddenly a tail appeared out of the grey, suspended in mid air... apparently attached to nothing!

Anyway... Instead of the usual trip down to Delta, we were directed left on Tango and into the apron. The guy in the right seat looked at me saying "but we're going to 234!" (or something like that)

"Don't tell me", says I, "Tell him!"

The answer was something rather vague about low vis. ... Can anyone explain? Is it easier somehow in fog to have inbounds use the apron while the taxiways are free for outbounds?

... I think there was a joker on the apron radio at the time, as he proceeded to direct us "down lane 6 to the gate" almost as though he knew the effect it would have on my radio man....[pause] "But we're going to 234!!" he sez, looking at me as though he'd just found a talking rabbit on the other side of Alice's looking glass. "Don't tell me. Tell him!" laugh.gifbiggrin.gif

Mitch

When was the last time you renewed your AVOP? It's explained in the booklet because it also affects ramp traffic patterns by closing down certain vehicle corridors during a "Blue Light Special".....

Iceman

It's been a little while since I had to renew I guess, but I'm looking at the last "booklet" I got... (from November 2003) There's precious little about low vis ops in it... one paragraph saying little more than things change and that you need a blue light, and another page where they talk speed limits.

I'd never heard of such a chart Vsplat, but thanks... now I know it exists, I'll see if I can find a copy.

In 15 years of flying in and out of YYZ, I have never been advised, or told, or indicated in any way of "low visibility" routes, or shall I say, ATC advising me that low vis routes were in effect.

I know there is a low vis route chart, but throw in de-icing, snow removal, gate holds, etc, etc, I think the boys in the tower work accordingly.

Any thoughts??

Mitch,

RE: "Is it easier somehow in fog to have inbounds use the apron while the taxiways are free for outbounds?"

Isn't the guy in the right seat supposed to know these things. After all, he is your navigator, right? If I were you, I'd get this "radio man" of yours some further training prior to any more of these adventurous taxiing excursions. This guy sounds like a real idiot. laugh.gif

Taxi routes are covered in the AIP. The inbound points for T2 are AL and DT the reason you were sent in AL is because Delta is westbound when low vis and the only people who can get to DT are the arrivals exiting off 06L.

If you land and are on a CAT 3 approach you should assume that we are using low vis routes, everything can be figured out from the Low Vis chart. Everyone going to the CDF crosses 33R @ S and then goes down E. With the rules as they are we have limited flexibility as to what we can do with people.

Archived