Biplane - A whole new meaning!

It looks like the PA-28 wanted to mate with the 152. I wonder about the validity of the story. The 152's flaps are bent down to at least a 90 degree setting. The whole mess doesn't look like it'd fly at all and appears to be more of a ground accident than an inflight event?

No visable damage to either prop, and the fact that pretty much all lift the 152 might have been generating would have been destroyed, make me inclined to agree with you.

Accident happened at 200', not a long way to go before that "greaser" landing comes along. Not much lift needed to glide, just got to stop the high rate of descent.

If this was a case of the Piper landing on top of the Cessna, 1) that'd be one heck of a spot landing, 2) both airplanes would probably have rolled over nose-first or 3) the Cessna would probably have been crushed under the weight of the Piper coming down on top.

I'm inclined to agree with that assessment...

Only thing I don't get is why there wouldn't be more pictures available... I don't know too many camera owners who wouldn't have got all angles of that scene.

"Accident happened at 200', not a long way to go before that "greaser" landing comes along. Not much lift needed to glide, just got to stop the high rate of descent."

Lots of lift is required to glide. Where the wings are close together lift has been destroyed. Lift has been destroyed by the 152's flap position. The ac are directionally opposed which doesn't lead to stability. Wouldn't the ensuing impact with tera firma produce a greater stress on the 152's gear legs than the other example? How would the daring landing have been coordinated between the two ac pilots?

In the absence of more compelling data I remain of the opinion that we're seeing a ground accident that resulted from a skip and jump out of control landing on the part of the cherokee pilot.

Archived