Question for WJ

Kip Powick

These two incidents were taken from another forum.....I never heard of them, perhaps they are overblown but was wondering if there was any truth to them..

QuoteLets install a bridge at the airport in Calgary for dual boarding and unloading of the aircraft. WOW, until a ground crew parks the aircraft on the wrong stop line and when the bridge is lowered it crushes the plane and turns it into Beer Cans. Passengers on the aircraft only noticed a slight angle to the plane beforeWRITEOFF the news papers never hear about it.Unquote

QuoteCrew is backing out a aircraft in Calgary and the Pushout tractor driver doesn't respond to the wing walkers and backs the loaded aircraft into a parked aircraft on the parking pad. The wing rode up the nose cone of the 737 and tore the wiper motors right out of the parked aircraft. oh and the wing of the aircraft being pushed out you got it beer cans. Remember the WJ donation of an aircraft to a school somewhere, had to be this one.Unquote

These items were posted as the poster was trying to make a point that if WJ has an incident, nothing gets to the paper but if AC has a hiccup it is front page news. Just wondering if any of the above is true.

First incident, yes, LH horizontal stab damage. Aircraft was repaired and back in service, serious incident but these things happen with new technology.

Second incident, dunno, didn't hear about that one.

Cheers

Pushback incident also true. Happened in YYC. Neither A/C retired as a result of these. A/C are retired as per a schedule, and donated. **it happens all the time that does not make the papers, at all airlines.

13820;

Interesting that you should say that!

When I went to P.V.I. in the early 80's they had a retired Air Canada Viscount. This A/C was donated years earlier. All this talk of "the first donation of it's type", is pure hogwash.

Interesting how the media never checks any of the facts it prints.

Tony!

Kip

The first one happened when a 200 was put on the gate (twin bridge) which was calibrated for the 700, so as you might well imagine the aft bridge went to were the door should have been but encountered a hoz stab instead.

Never heard of the second one, but the ramp crew did start towing one of the 800s from the hold area when the catering truck was raised to the aft door, again damage to the hoz stab and the truck was tipped over (no one inside)

Every airline has em and very few make the papers, as there are rarely any injuries

Brett

ps: it might be a good topic for a thread Hangar/Ramp rash :D

You are right, the second one was when the ramp Crew hit a parked airplane while pushing another one back...Done some damage but both are flying again..

This stuff happens eveywhere, with every airline!!

Guest TBird One

All incidents are true to life, except that all aircraft are still in service. Serious tail repair to bridge incident craft, parts taken from another tail that was retired around the same time.

We had the retiree flown to MIA or thereabouts for chop-up and the lads took all the pieces they needed and had them trucked to YYC for installation on the old girl with the bent tail. Really a shame about the retired tail- was one of my favs... you might remember the story about the airplane that was "taken" from the overhaul facility for fear of loss due to their impending bankruptcy? That old girl is probably now some of the best flyin beer cans going. I always thought she should have had a skull and crossbones on the geear door instead of the tail number.

I spent most of last summer at that overhaul facility, and I can tell you they haven't forgotten :D :D by the time I was done with them I bet they wished AC would have "Taken" all of their aircraft as well :D

Brett

Archived