More AC news

B75/76

"Noting that several well-heeled equity investors have reportedly been attracted, Reid said the airline may have some radical changes in mind that only potential investors have details about."

Sounds like Air Canada to do international flying and Zip and Jazz to do domestic?

In times of trouble, there is no shortage of "experts" and other such folks on the sidelines who will pronounce and predict.

Air Canada employees are along for the ride and have made their contributions, so I hope this process continues to a successful conclusion.

We don't need the Reid's, the Hubert's or the Lazar's and all the Sirens of this world constantly creating black clouds. It serves no purpose other than to needlessly scare people who are working hard to make this go.

In fact, to me, such pronouncements from "experts" are self-serving and don't carry anything forward at all.

Don

This is the big question mark.

"We don't know much about its business plan."

"The business plan has a chance of success if we could see a massive restructuring at Air Canada (but not) if Air Canada tries in some way to maintain the same rate of activity.

I don't understand why only 5500 layoffs have taken place.Everyone knew that at least 10,000 had to go,Business plan,i don't see any evidence of such a monster.Its the same ole same ole with a lot less people,except management of course,who some how have avoided the cuts,If my memory serves me well Continatal had to go chapter 11 twice before they got it right.IE bring in new management

I think if you go and read the earlier monitor's reports and the company's restructuring announcements back in April-May, you will find that the full layoff totals were only supposed to be achieved over a year or two. There would be layoffs and there would be voluntary separation packages. I don't know where the voluntary portion of the process is with CUPE and CAW - maybe some of the members of those groups could enlighten us. Also, some management cuts were to occur closer to year end. That's also a problem in analyzing so-called deficiency numbers and coming to a conclusion that the sky is falling. If a disproportionate number of people are getting lump sums for vacation and/or severance and/or buyouts, then this clouds any understanding of the airline's actual performance, i.e. costs and revenues from operations. We all know that if you take a deficiency number that dates back to April, you would have to have a monthly deficiency chart to know whether the situation is getting better or worse. Most of the deficiency was incurred in the April-June timeframe on the back of SARS and war. My impression of the situation today is a lot differernt than it was in June.

Since none of us, and certainly none of the academics quoted in the article, know yet how the airline is performing month to month for July through September, they can't make educated assumptions about the airline's state of affairs. They can only guess based on traffic numbers, gossip, whatever. I put myself in that boat, too, but I do have a couple of well-placed sources and they aren't talking to these academics or the media.

I would love to be able to separate one-time restructuring costs from on-going operating costs, but until there is a third quarter report, it's hard to do. Therefore, I don't think you are serving your fellow employees well with a headline that says "more pay/pension cuts".

In the meantime, you can also assume that it's in the best interest of management to put a fairly negative spin on things - or allow one to be nurtured by the media.

In situations like this, some things should be taken with a grain of salt - or at least a Valium.

Guest Geminoid

"Its the same ole same ole with a lot less people,except management of course,who some how have avoided"

The 800+ management people who no longer work for AC will be really happy to hear that they were avoided. I guess the 300+ additional who are supposed to be gone by the end of the year will be avoided as well.

Geminoid

Obligations run up since April 1 total $1.2 billion, composed of items like unpaid aircraft leases and employee payrolls. Cash on hand was $779.4 million, so obligations exceeded cash by $393.7 million.

Monitor Ernst & Young calls the overall deficiency "significant" and even alludes to a possible failure, saying that if the restructuring is unsuccessful and the airline is liquidated, there will be few assets left for creditors.

Creditors have to file claims by Nov. 14.

Louis Hebert, professor of strategy at Montreal business school Hautes Etudes Commerciales, fears that even if Air Canada meets its objective to fly out of bankruptcy protection by the end of this year, it may still be too weak and go down anyway.

"I always believed that Air Canada would emerge from protection, but it will be so fragile following that we risk finding ourselves in the same situation a few months later," Hebert said in an interview.

"I think it will be able to meet its obligations to get out of bankruptcy, but it won't last very long, unless there is a worldwide recovery in air transport."

Hebert said the only way Air Canada will survive will be to go through a radical change that goes well beyond what has been revealed so far.

"We don't know much about its business plan," he said.

"The business plan has a chance of success if we could see a massive restructuring at Air Canada (but not) if Air Canada tries in some way to maintain the same rate of activity.

"I wouldn't be surprised if Air Canada (when it emerges) was half of what it is now."

Do they mean aircraft half the size???Sounds to me like a "Jazz" option might be in the works...Hmmmmmmm

Noting that several well-heeled equity investors have reportedly been

Guest lancaster

Words of wisdom......When your last name is from the great countries of Asia......and your a business man and investor........they don't want 10% return on their investment. Look out domestic routes, good by technical divisions, goodby Jazz (to a new owner), good by RJ's, hello international, major frequencies between Canada's major centres, hello tier 3 carriers for feed. That's what will happen. You heard it hear first!

Guest Patrick Bergen

And Victor Li could bring the brunt of the billions of dollars of backing and crush all of the competition. None of your comments or these add any value to the discussion and are irrelevant. Very good comments by Don.

Archived