737-200 autobrake question

Guest bianchiboy

Guest bianchiboy

Hey all,

I'm just working my way through the Vol 2 (systems) manual, and I can't find what the deceleration rates are for the 737-200 autobraking system, MIN-MED-MAX?

I don't have any other manuals yet, so I don't know if it's a published thing, though it's certainly not in Vol 2.

Also, is it a decent system in practical use, or more of a "we never use that" thing?

Thanks in advance,

BB

We don't have autobrake on ours (which I guess tells you what some think of it), so I have nothing in my books, but from this site:

http://www.b737.org.uk/hawk737200notespart4.htm#ATA%20CHAPTER%2032%20[LANDING%20GEARS]

it says:

THREE DECELERATION RATES IN AUTOBRAKE MODE ARE:-

MIN 4 FT/SEC2

MED 7 FT/SEC2,6 FT/SEC2

MAX 10 FT/SEC2

Sorry can't help, at WestJet all the -200s have the autobrake system permantly disabled. The -700 uses autobrake but since I am still driving the venerable old Truckasaurous Rex I can't be of much help.

Cheers

Guest Sawbones

With over 8,000 hours on the 737-200, I can't say that I used the autobrake system regularly. It is important to remember that the deceleration rates that are quoted by Mitch are no doubt accurate, but the system doesn't recognize where the deceleration is coming from ... brakes or reverse thrust. In other words, if the selected deceleration rate is being achieved by reverse thrust, the brakes won't come on at all. Hence, a frequent line indoc question would be ... how do you achieve max deceleration on a slippery runway?

Answer: max auto brake, max reverse on touchdown, then max manual wheel braking so as to achieve max reverse and max braking. The auto brake is great for getting the binders on as soon as you touch before you can get your feet off the rudders and onto the brakes.

In practice, medium autobrake would be the selection of choice on a slippery, short runway. Max is very harsh (maybe you shouldn't be here if you think you need it) ... and all this after many years of 5,000-6,000' runway landings in the Maritimes.

Cheers

Guest bianchiboy

Well, that answers my question then, it's moot since I won't be using it... :)

(hope to see you on the line, though you probably guessed as much... double :) )

Guest bianchiboy

Thanks for your input Sawbones. As with all aircraft, one relies on the experience of people who have flown the bird, rather than what the manual dictates.

The way the system on the -200 works sounds standard, for example, on the A310 it was the same, deceleration was measured absolutely, (i.e. if you were on "LO" and you were doing 4 m/s^2 (to my best recollection) decel with reverse, the brakes wouldn't come on).

On the 310, we never used more than "Lo" (or as Boeing calls it "MIN"), for a normal landing, if at all. "MAX" was ONLY set as a pre-takeoff setting, in case of a reject. It would pretty much guarantee a full-on whiplash, since it was a "threshold braking to the anti-skid" setting.

Archived