Pilot Training Programs

handyman

A couple of questions to ask when looking into aviation training.

1. What will the actual degree or diploma say on it, and who issues it?

Many 2 year "aviation diploma" programs are offered at colleges across Canada. Some of them provide flight instruction through the college, and some contract the flying instruction out to the local flying club.

If the college itself provides the instruction, it usually issues a "aviation diploma" with the college's name on it.

If the college contracts out the flying, the student usually gets a "aviation managment diploma", or something like that, from the college and a "aviation diploma" from the flying club.

If I were a person hiring, I would rather see a "aviation diploma" issued from an accredited college.

I know of 3 "aviation diplomas" issued by Colleges: Selkirk, Seneca, and Mount Royal. There are more.

2. Is it an "applied degree or a Bachelors degree"

An applied degree usually takes 3 years and a bachelors degree takes 4. Universities and some colleges issue bachelors degrees.

If you want a degree to fall back on, many higher paying jobs require a bachelors degree, and will not recognize an applied degree.

I have heard that there is somewhere in Canada that you can get a bachelors degree in aviation. I can't remember where.

They will be.

Heck, even my kids are proud of their dad, even though I work at a job that get's so lousy sometimes it's knocked me on my as$ and is probably killing me... My son tells me every day he goes to bed (if I haven't left for work yet) that I'm the "best dad in the world". (hey, what the heck, he hasn't got too many to stack me up against ;) )

Max's kids will be proud of him too, not for what he does for a living maybe, but for who he is and how he deals with life.

Good people don't measure a man by his successes, mistakes, and failures, but by how he deals with them afterward.

"the best people to run an airline aren't necessarily the bean counters, but rather great people than can inspire others by clearly forming a vision, and aligning everyone else around that common goal."

Excellent point, and quite appropriate to the current state of AC.!

(But someone's gotta be able to figure out which way those lines go!)

Your hired! ;)

Max,

Before you put yourself down just remember you are not your job, you as a Dad/Mom are not defined by what you do for a living. There is nothing wrong with painting houses till the next flying job comes around, which it will sooner or later. At least you are working and have not dug a hole in your basement to hide in. I would hazard a guess your children are very proud you, regardless of what you do for a living since you are there for them.

Regards,

60N30W

Dad first, pilot next.

Bachelor's of Administrative and Commercial Studies in Commercial Aviation Management & Economics (I did a double in eco - and I'd like to know if anyone has a longer degree than mine...) The BACS program at Western is a 4 year business degree with 4 areas of concentration: Finance, Human Resources, Finance and Computer Science, and Commercial Aviation Management. More info at the site I posted earlier.

Cheers,

CDB

Hi CDB,

What exactly does your degree certificate say on it, and how was the flight training conducted? Was the flying contracted out, and did you recieve any type of certificate from the contractor?

The flight training was conducted through Empire Aviation at YXU. Western did the academics, Empire did the flying, and the 2 were essentially kept separate (you do not have to do all/any of the flying - you can choose to do only the academic part and get the same degree).

As for certificates, I'm not sure I understand what you mean. If you choose to do the flying, you do the ICPL program (Private, Commercial, Multi-IFR), and Instructor's rating, and all are essentially done like you normally would at any flight school, with standard TC flight examiners doing the flight tests.

Cheers,

CDB

Airway,

Nope... Western gives you the degree, Empire trains you and TC gives you the licenses after passing the exams, and you give everyone a lot of money :)

CDB

PS: Sorry for the 2 posts above that may or may not have been confusing, I dunno if you edited your post but I think I responded originally before you deleted it.

At the tier 3 and 4 level it's not about a degree, diploma, certificate, etc.... It's about being at the right place at the right time with the right amount of ink in the log book or the right name in the blank of the following sentence "______ sent me".

Programs are great if you get to shake hands, collect business cards and establish relationships with aviation types. This is the key to breaking into the industry.

Amen

Archived