Q for aviators:

Mitch Cronin

A lady I know has been told that Air France pilots are routinely given a glass of wine before a flight.

The comment apparently arose within a discussion of the potential benefits of red wine drinking.

It is my understanding that any alcohol is verbotten, and I thought that was world wide... Am I wrong? I doubt there will be any Air France pilots here, but surely if that were true, someone here would know??

I understand that they used to be allocated a 10oz. glass of low alcohol wine with their crew meal on international flights, but that the practice was discontinued, at least for flights into the U.S., when the FAA began a random testing policy. If I recall correctly, the removal of the vin rouge caused quite a rucuss in the Air France pilot's Union for a day or two.

Mitch,

Several years ago, while I was on a station stop in Gander, I had an opportunity to visit the flight deck of a brand new A310 owned by TEA a french charter company. While I was chatting with the cockpit crew, the senior purser in french asked the Captain and FO when they would like their wine. Then he asked me in english if I would like one before I left. I reluctantly answer 'No' and explained that I wasn't allowed under our Air regs. He was shocked to say the least ;) I'm not sure if it still happens in todays world.

Guest M. McRae

I remember sitting in the Swissair Staff Cafeteria in GVA and was surprised by the staff in uniform who had a beer or wine with their lunch. While in Germany on business, I was offered a refreshment choice of coffee or beer at 10am. Different culture from North America and a trust that the staff would not abuse the privilege.

Thanks, all of you, for the responses... I may not be able to answer whether or not it still happens, but at least I know that it once did...

The tale came from a doctor, and the lady was having difficulty with the notion of trust. She'll be relieved, I think, to hear the doctor wasn't full of beans.

Cheers,

Mitch

Archived