US Approach Ban

Rookie

Wondering what the rules for 705 operators with regards to visiblity and the approach ban in the US.

Does AC/WJ/JG/SSV/CJ et al have Ops Specs in the US to be able to conduct an ILS with visiblity less than 1/2 mile?

The reason I ask is this morning I delayed and ultimately cancelled my trip to Fargo due to the reported vis being 1/4 mile, with the RVR u/s. However, the ABX DC-9 we meet there to pick up freight from shot the approach and landed with the reported vis being 1/4 mile.

My understanding of the FARs is that an approach is not authorized anytime the reported vis is less than the (what we call recommended) vis on the approach plate. In the case of the ILS, 1/2.

Thanks.

In our ops manual, for USA weather limits it says;

"The Pilot In Ocmmand shall not continue the approach to land beyond the outer marker or equivalent fix if the ceiling and/or visibility is reported below the minimums specified:

- in the FAA Operations Specification; or

- in the Jeppesen Airway Manual".

The Ops Spec refers to the Jepp manual as the source of our approach ban limits, so we're bound by what's on the chart. On JeppView, the charts show RVR 2400 or 1/2 mile for both runways, so a Skyservice flight would not (or at least should not) be doing that approach (not that there's much call for us to fly to Fargo, but you never know...) dry.gif

Wondering what the rules for 705 operators with regards to visiblity and the approach ban in the US.

Does AC/WJ/JG/SSV/CJ et al have Ops Specs in the US to be able to conduct an ILS with visiblity less than 1/2 mile?

The reason I ask is this morning I delayed and ultimately cancelled my trip to Fargo due to the reported vis being 1/4 mile, with the RVR u/s. However, the ABX DC-9 we meet there to pick up freight from shot the approach and landed with the reported vis being 1/4 mile.

My understanding of the FARs is that an approach is not authorized anytime the reported vis is less than the (what we call recommended) vis on the approach plate. In the case of the ILS, 1/2.

Thanks.

J.O. is right. But is there a Cat II or III at that airport? Otherwise, if there's a minimum vis published on the plate, that's what you need to have by the FAF to continue for a landing in the USA.

Before long, Canadian regs will include similar approach bans. They will be graduated, and the approved limits will depend on your aircraft equipment and training programs.

The graduated approach proposals have been in the works for nearly 15 years but the strong industry negative reaction has stalled their implementation. There was a committee report a few years back chaired by TC and comprised of industry reps and a couple of TC reps. The only strong proponent of graduated approaches was one particular very senior TC fellow.

Will be interesting if any progress is made in the next 15 years!

Presently, the current situation gives Canadian operators a very strong competitive advantage over visiting crews. And for the most part (99.99% of the time), is perfectly safe.

Archived