AC183 flight crew fired??

Guest pitstacker

Guest pitstacker

I heard a rumor that the flight crew that made an approach into Vernon (instead of Kelowna) were fired? Anyone know if it's true?

Was it a case of airport mistaken identity? Jazz flight or AC flight? These things happen from time to time, but never to AC pilots.

I operated into YLW the next day and I believe the NOTAM said no insrument approaches avbl due to the retsricted airspace south of the airport. Can't recall if ILS signal was avbl to us.

We were in a 737-700 and I was PF. We manoeuvered visually north of the airport with flight directors off. The descent profile to the runway was intercepted and we configured to land on rwy 15, all visually.

No idea how the crew of the AC flight handled the situation, but for me, as an eastern raised pilot, i was on my tippy toes...

It was my second time operating into the field, and the first as PF. Under normal conditions, the airport requires more than normal study and preparation due to the mountainous terrain, just adequate length, and non-standard escape routes (should an engine fail on takeoff).

The restrictions on the airspace added to the mix. As airline pilots operating into primarily large airports with radar vectors to the IAF being the norm, visual manoeuvring in mountainous terrain made the experience quite unique for the typical airline guy.

I must say that when i could sneak a glance, i had a great view of Vernon and the Kal lake area...

Guest PortTack

Well like my othe posts, I was just making a joke at the fact that the old approach forced you on your toes and now its easier and with the ILS...possible complacency...again just a joke. I've been in to YLW lots, and it requires top attention on the best of days. I personaly will reserve judgement as I wouldn't want it to happen to me either.

YLW Flightcraft buddy of mine mentioned last night (we'd had a couple of horns though, so cut me some slack here, guys) that the ILS was in fact under notam due: the published m/a profile would have violated the fire-affected, closed airspace.

Notwithstanding, he believes from having used it himself the previous day, that the ILS was quasi-usable, short of full-operational authority. He'd still used it effectively and uneventfully as a "why-not & freebee," supplementary track-guidance tool,... for referrence purposes only and of course, at his own risk. Fair enough, I figure...

Anyway, poor buggers that got snookered on 183 though, that smoke sure does weird stuff to your otherwise, normal senses. No kidding, it's not quite the same as obscuring fog, snow, low cloud cover etc.

Good luck to them. I hope it can be sorted-out after a cool down period, without a mob-style lynchin' - staged just to be politically correct!

DH

Re-posted from another Forum.

Occurrence No. : A03P0259 Occurrence Type: INCIDENT VOLUNTARY

Class : CLASS 3 Reportable Type:

Date : 23-Aug-2003 Time : 11:47 PDT

Region of Responsibility : PACIFIC

Aircraft Information:

Manufacturer : AIRBUS Operator Type: COMMERCIAL

Model : A319-100 CARs Info: 705 - AIRLINER

Injuries: Fatal : 0 Serious : 0 Minor : 0 None : 92 Unknown : 0

Occurrence Summary :

A03P0259: The Air Canada Airbus A319 (C-FYKW / ACA183) was on a scheduled IFR flight from Toronto to Kelowna. The ILS at Kelowna had been NOTAMed inoperative because of extensive forest fires in the area, and only visual approaches were in effect at the time. While ACA183 was on descent into Kelowna, and after the crew advised the Vancouver Centre controller that they had the Kelowna airport in sight, the controller cleared the aircraft to the Kelowna airport for a visual approach, and handed off the aircraft to the Kelowna tower. ACA183 continued inbound to Kelowna on a track that would have passed over Vernon airport. ACA183 continued to progressively descend to 2,100 feet and slow down to about 130 knots, and appeared to make an approach to runway 23 at Vernon. Shortly after, ACA183 executed a go-around, accelerated, and climbed to about 6,000 feet. The tower controller then issued ACA183 directions to the Kelowna airport. The pilot subsequently reported having Kelowna airport in sight, continued with the visual approach to Runway 15, and landed without further event. During the route inbound to Vernon, ACA183 came onto conflict with two smaller aircraft - a Beech KingAir 200 (C-GMPS) departing Kelowna and a Cessna 152 (C-GQDJ) in the Vernon circuit.

Archived