For Neo

Guest M. McRae

Mitch, Malcolm, et al thanks for your concern.

No doubt you've heard that the situation is volatile, and that's no lie. The fire is growing at a phenomenal rate, 30 year fire-fighting pros have never seen anything like it. The slightest puff of wind drives the fire in whatever direction it goes.

Our home is not in immediate danger so far today, but we're all on one hour evacuation notice. They ordered 10,000 people out of their homes last night in Kelowna.

We saw the start of the fire last Saturday morning, a few puffs of smoke at the most remote point of Okanagan Mountain Park. Now it's burning people's homes at least 20 miles from where it started, with no relief in sight at the moment. Scary!

neo

Guest Rob Assaf

Hi Richard,

Drove home tonite around 11:15 pm from my folks place to see the ridge about half a mile from our subdivision in Nanaimo aglow with smoke and flame. Kids scared out of their minds after seeing the news on TV about YLW. Sirens from the firehall around the corner from our house came just a moment later, many more sirens in the next several minutes as the rest of the halls from Nanaimo's finest and the forest service joined the battle. They've got it contained (not out) in just under half an hour according to the RCMP officer I talked to at the road block.

The wind was up about 10 mph out of the west at the time and continues at this time. I'm north of the fire and down hill from it so should be OK so long as the wind doesn't shift and pickup.

I REALLY hope the rain the forecast promised us tonite and tomorrow shows up but at this time there are no clouds in sight.

Never thought I would see the day when I'd be hoping for a dump of rain on my days off.

Good luck in Naramata, Richard

Thanks for that, Rob.

We needed a break from the smoke yesterday so we drove south towards Osoyoos for a little tour. About 20 minutes out of town, we encountered another fire that had just started, right beside the highway. The fire equipment was just starting to show up. A few hours later the fire covered 200 hectares, completely out of control. We had to take a lengthy detour to get home.

North of us, on the south side of Kelowna, the fire raged last night. 30,000 people are evacuated, and many homes have been lost. I think it would be fair to say that it's an unprecedented disaster.

The wind has shifted now and is blowing towards us, and is forecast to blow like that all day. It's going to be interesting.

neo

Archived