Congratulations CanJet!

atlanticpilot

It made me very proud to read the following article.........congratulations to all of the CanJetters who have worked so hard to make CanJet a success.......the proof is in the pudding as they say....................

A prominent Maritime journalist has this to say about us.................

FLYING WITH THE NEW KID IN TOWN

Air travel is one of the essential ingredients of modern life, and an efficient service is vital.

The story of CanJet is a remarkable one. Who would have bet 14 months ago, when this novice airline made its debut in Nova Scotia, that it would meet with almost immediate success? And this at a time when there was nothing but gloom and doom from this industry.

Some weeks ago, I flew to Toronto. I did my booking through Wendy Brison, a very alert travel agent at the Bedford location of the Travel Store. It had been my intention as usual to fly with Air Canada, but when I arrived to pick up my tickets, this winsome lass smiled at me and said I was flying on CanJet.

After explaining that the price was substantially less than that quoted by Air Canada, and that it was a direct flight, my initial unfavourable reaction subsided. Why not give this tyro of an airline a try?

By the time I got to Toronto I was a convert. The flight left on time, the service was smiling efficient, and the 100+ seat Boeing 737 offered far less hustle than the giant-sized carriers.

Air travel today is one of the essential ingredients in our collective lives. And here in Atlantic Canada we now have a new player that may surprisingly, serve us better than any air service we have experienced before.

Halifax is the main terminus for CanJet, and the focal point of its extending operations. The young airline now flies 200 trips a week to destinations that include St.John’s, Deer Lake, Moncton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto.

As a snowbird, I have personal interest in its ambitious Florida plans. Initiated last February, the airline offered a weekly direct flight from Halifax to St. Petersburg. It proved such a success that the service was continued to May 31.

There was even better news this year with the announcement that the St. Petersburg service will crank up on Nov.1 and continue every Saturday until late May. Additionally, the airline will initiate flights from Montreal to West Palm Beach, and from Ottawa and Toronto to Sarasota-Bradenton. All flights will depart on Saturdays and return on Saturdays.

Wayne Morrison, the airline’s Director of Sales and Community Resources, says the Halifax to St.Pete bookings are already filling up, and that traffic is forecast to be well up above last year.

One thing I like about our Halifax flight is that it leaves at the very civilized hour of 9:15a.m. and departs St. Pete just after 1p.m.

This enterprise so important to life here was the creation of Ken Rowe, the Chairman, CEO and principle shareholder in IMP. Over the last 25 years, Rowe has emerged as one of the most successful businessmen in recent years. He’s an innovator who built a hotel in Moscow, even before the cold war thawed.

Employing more than 300 people with six aircraft, CanJet now offers four flights a day to Toronto and two to Montreal. While there was a grave concern here last year that reduced Air Canada service would be a serious blow to the region, the emergence of our own airline has helped see those fear evaporate.

Arnie Patterson

The Daily News

arniepatterson@ns.sympatico.ca

Not meaning to rain on your parade but there never seems to be any mention of profit/loss.

The real proof is in the financial performance don't you think?

Mr Rowe does not have much of a reputation for making money other than with government contracts. I realise it is not a public company but it failed miserably the first time.....

No worry's, I have an umbrella.

The facts:

If I tell you that the airplanes are nearly full most of the time and that our operating costs are low would that satisfy you that we are a viable business?

As far as your other comments, IMP has other successful diversified business interests that have nothing whatsoever to do with government contracts.

CanJet1 operated under quite different market conditions than it does today, not to mention Air Canada's competition violations at the time.

AP

Guest Below the line

The story of CanJet is a remarkable one. Who would have bet 14 months ago, when this novice airline made its debut in Nova Scotia,

Debut ?????

What about CanJet #1, Rowe trying to sell his planes to WJ,then to C3

Hey AP,

Glad to hear some good news from the best coast. Looks like CJ is making the best of a big void in the market. Let's hope it keeps going. Remember to keep the blue side up and as always be looking over your shoulder, just in case.

Hope to see you back in South Beach at the usual spot sometime later this year. Had a great time in July.

Cheers,

Avcat

Archived