So whutdunit then?

Mitch Cronin

"Canada and US Blame each other" sez The Star

http://www.thestar.com/Articles/story9.html

What makes me grin is that even though they can't even identify where the problem is, much less what the problem is, "The Pentagon was quick to say it was not terrorism."

Uh huh. Sure gives me faith in their utterances.

Guest gpsapr

Ya I was thinking the same thing.

They cant even tell what side of the border it started on, BUT it was not terrorism.

The best one so far , is the report that lightning hit the Niagra generating station, just one problem though, the was not a cloud in the sky,hmmmmm!

Evidently a Rampie set things off when he was leaning on a transformer munchin' on a Horton's doughnut. Spilled his coffee I hear.(h)

Guest M. McRae

North American Power Outage Makes Iraqis Gloomy

Fri August 15, 2003 10:18 AM ET

By Michael Georgy

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - When the lights went out in New York, the gloom spread to Baghdad where Iraqis wondered how the high-tech Americans would ever restore electricity in Iraq with such huge power problems at home.

"They have the best equipment and technology and a power shortage can make such a big fuss in the United States. Now I am sure it will take them years to fix the electricity in Iraq," said Ali Saghbal, a worker at a Baghdad power station.

Iraqis are furious that U.S. troops have yet to restore electricity nearly four months after the end of a war that toppled Saddam Hussein and was supposed to deliver a better life.

Power shortages have deepened anti-American sentiment. Some Iraqis say they suspect U.S. troops are intentionally dragging their feet.

"What are we supposed to do? For months we have had a few hours of electricity a day and the rest of the time we have to live in 45-degree (113-degree Fahrenheit) heat," said Saad Salaam, a sports reporter sipping coffee in a cafe.

The largest power outage in North American history blacked out New York and other major U.S. and Canadian cities on Thursday.

Authorities were unsure what caused the outages, which spread across 3,600 square miles to Detroit and Cleveland, and across the Canadian border to Toronto and Ottawa -- except to say it was not the work of saboteurs.

Iraqis said they could not understand why Americans were making a big deal out of the blackouts while power shortages had become a way of life in Iraq since U.S. troops toppled Saddam on April 9.

Many Iraqi power stations are old and dilapidated, providing power for a few hours a day. Years of crippling sanctions left power stations without spare parts, forcing workers to use cannibalized equipment to keep them going.

Even when electricity was available, it was used as a political weapon under Saddam. Iraqis say he diverted most of the country's electricity to his strongholds in Baghdad and left other regions with low supplies.

At a run-down power station that provides half of Baghdad's electricity, workers stood by the control panel comparing the United States' sophisticated power grids to their own.

"Our power stations are 45 years old and the Americans have the best equipment. They could fix our problems in three days if they wanted to," Mohsen Akram said.

"Now it looks like it will take 10 years."

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=reutersEdge&storyID=3285043

Guest alldatjazz

We are sitting in Sterling, Virginia listening to all the experts down here saying things like "The situation in Canada is still in disarray". We seem to be the convenient heat sink for these events.

Ironic that there was looting reported in Canada [Ottawa I think] but no problems in New York or Detroit.

I am telling any American who confronts me that it was a Disgruntled Blue Jay fan who has a hatred for the New York Yankees that threw the switch at Ontario Hydro.

I think some of them believe me as everyone seems to hates the Yankees!

Guest ah crap

mmm.Mr.Keith's!

Just like having a Timmy's in my back yard, priorities are a must. I did find an open beer store today. However, from watching the news, the only person who seems to know without a doubt what happened is the mayor of New York. He says it's all Canada's fault. I doubt the pentagon is listening to him ;)

Archived